Importing a truck from Canada

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Marmon110P, Apr 4, 2020.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Would it be possible to import a partially restored vehicle from Canada to the US?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    If it were to be considered Parts. Then yes.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Well rolling frame, cab and hood plus powertrain on a stand lol.

5. Marmon110P

Marmon110P Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Ive got a speedo in MPH for this truck, just gotta put it in (Ill make sure to do that before heading to Customs), its got all emissions and safety compliance labels present and legible. What else do they look for during the customs inspection? I am trying to avoid to 30 day hold however I can

6. Marmon110P

Feb 24, 2019
    Can anybody give me a list of what would be different on a Canadian truck besides the speedo? Its got all the conforming labels and nothing else has been modified. I really dont want to have to do this 30 day 'quarentine'...

7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    About the only difference would be the speedometer and daytime running lights are required in Canada.
    Since 2017 the headlights have to come on with the windshield wipers.

8. Marmon110P

Feb 24, 2019
    OK, mine is a '96, still has the daytime headlights, and has both KM/H and MPH on the speedo. EPA exempt, so this should be fairly easy.

9. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks for this thread. A lot of Canadian spec dump trucks would work really well for me with minimal modifications.

Always been hesitant to let loose on the Canadian Ritchie sales due to the unknowns of importing.

Marmon110P Thanks this.
  10. Wingliner

Wingliner Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Holland, MI
    I just bought a 2009 FTL Argosy from Gamache in early February. In negotiations by phone and email I told them I thought it was priced about $14K too high. That’s when the salesman related that the 6NZ had been overhauled by CAT somewhere between 60 and 200,000 ago. I still don’t know if he meant miles or km. I have copies of emails between their in house warranty people and salesman about the O/H because the salesman was trying to get authorization to warranty it. I figured that a CAT O/H was definitely worth the difference in price and wired the money with the understanding that I would receive service records of the O/H. I flew to Plattsburgh and arrived at their Champlain facility on February 8 to pick it up. I was supposed to get there on the 7th but they were having a blizzard and my flight was delayed by a day. The salesman was supposed to pick me up at the airport but he was shown the door on the 6th. They said to get a Lyft or Uber and send them the bill. They told me that the keys and paperwork would be in the truck along with a temporary plate so I could get it back to Michigan. The plate and customs documents were there, but no keys. The truck was in line with several others and plowed in. I managed to get in touch with the sales manager and after an hour and a half in 0°F an employee showed up with the keys. He had to pull me out of the line with a front end loader and then disappeared. I had no place to go to check everything over, so I headed home with it. Since then I’ve had several conversations and emails with the sales manager regarding the service records of the O/H but still don’t have anything to verify the work had been done. The actual mileage of the truck is just over 800,000 miles. I have checked with the local CAT dealer who ran the engine serial number through their system. All that turned up was fixing a few leaks within 70,000 miles of it being put in service. In every conversation with the manager he’s told me that he has the file right there in his hands and will dig into it. In one call he said that their buyer was on vacation but that he talked to him and was assured that it was O/H’d or they wouldn’t have paid what they did for it. I’m holding out hope that they confirm it soon or we’ll be having a totally different kind of conversation. This whole thing surprises me because everything I had read about Gamache was all positive. I don’t have a problem paying what I did IF the O/H actually took place because I really wanted an Argosy and the 6NZ was a bonus. But, as everyone knows, you can drop $30K on a CAT O/H in the blink of an eye, and I better not be doing that any time soon!

Good luck!

FoolsErrand Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.