Importing A Truck To The US From Canada?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Caterpillar Cowboy, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Have any of you guys on here, based in the US bought a truck from Canada and brought it home?
    I was wondering what all the is involved, I have searched the Google pretty thoroughly but most everything I find pertains to autos, not class 8 trucks.

They have a lot of nicely spec'ed trucks up there for my needs searching the auctions and sale pages, but I've always discounted them because they were north of the border.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Yes, it has been done multiple times and here was a very recent thread on this. Try "search." If I remember it I'll post a link. I believe @haulhand on this forum, also from WY, has bought several Canadian trucks and trailers.

4. WrenchyMcwrench

WrenchyMcwrench Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2017
    The equipment is usually rusty. The taxes,fees and condition do not offset the soft U.S. truck market.

5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Call your port of export for information on exactly what you need to import. Plenty of newer trucks have been going south due to our beat up dollar.
    I've exported vehicles from US into Canada and rules are always changing.

6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I did that last spring. I was purchasing from a dealer and took delivery on this side of the border. The dealer obtained a new EPA sticker from Cat, and took care of customs paperwork.

One thing to keep in mind, my truck was originally sold in the U.S., and FET had been paid at that time. It was then exported to Canada. When I looked into this purchase I contacted numerous agencies regarding verifying that I did not need to pay FET, and nobody had information on that.
    The only difficulty I had was registering it in Idaho. The truck came from Saskatchewan, and they do not Title vehicles, so I had to run on a temporary until the Title Application process was completed.

Caterpillar Cowboy and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. Caterpillar Cowboy

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks @Oxbow, I knew FET had the potential to be an issue, I guess my best bet is to call some of the dealers that have stuff I'm interested in. I belive that Ritchie Bros will help you import a truck.

There's just too many nicely spec'ed tri drives up there that I could slide the tridems out, a set of tandems and drop axle in and have a good tough dirt truck, to discount them just because I don't know how to import them to the States!

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. Caterpillar Cowboy

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    That doesn't sound fun. Sounds like a guy would best go at it by figuring on paying the FET up front and being done with it!

9. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Yes and no. Why pay the IRS something that has already been paid?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.