Impossible to find air leak

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Ozdriver, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Ozdriver

Ozdriver Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    I've got an air leak on the KW. It leaks all it's air in about 2 hours so it's pretty bad. Do you think I can find it? No.
    I've isolated the Horton fan, the transmission air, the air compressor by blanking off their respective hoses. I've sprayed soapy water over all the fittings and hoses and brake relay valves. I replaced all 3 air tanks about 3 years ago so I don't think it's them. I borrowed the neighbor's kid who's got excellent hearing and he couldn't find it. The airbags stay up for a week, long after the system's run out of air. Can't find any leaks under the dash.
    So, I'm wondering if anyone has ever used some sort of listening device like a stethoscope or similar. It's really got me beat.

Hurst and Klleetrucking Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Liquidforce

Liquidforce Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Savannah GA
    ultra sonic air leak detection, have a google on that one.

Leak Detection
    Since air leaks are almost impossible to see, other methods must be used to locate them. The best way to detect leaks is to use an ultrasonic acoustic detector, which can recognize the high frequency hissing sounds associated with air leaks. These portable units consist of directional microphones, amplifiers, and audio filters, and usually have either visual indicators or earphones to detect leaks.

Ultrasonic leak detection is probably the most versatile form of leak detection. Due to its capabilities, it is readily adapted to a variety of leak detection situations. The principle behind ultrasonic leak detection is simple. In a pressure or vacuum leak, the leak flows from a high pressure laminar flow to a low pressure turbulence. The turbulence generates a white noise which contains a broad spectrum of sound ranging from audible to inaudible frequencies. An ultrasonic sensor focuses in on the ultrasonic elements in the noise. Since ultrasound is a short wave signal, the sound level will be loudest at the leak site. Ultrasonic detectors are generally unaffected by background noises in the audible range because these signals are filtered out. This means leaks can be heard in even the noisiest environments.

The advantages of ultrasonic leak detection include versatility, speed, ease of use, the ability to perform tests while equipment is running, and the ability to find a wide variety of leaks. They require a minimum of training, and operators often become competent after 15 minutes of training.

Due to the nature of ultrasound, it is directional in transmission. For this reason, the signal is loudest at its source. By generally scanning around a test area, it is possible to very quickly home in on a leak site and pin point its location. For this reason, ultrasonic leak detection is not only fast, it is also very accurate.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  4. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Possibly in the splitter of your gear box. One of the hardest places (IMO) to locate a leak.

Ozdriver Thanks this.
  5. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    A friend stopped in at a shop to get his 1979 A model yesterday in Texas, dropped it to get both hog heads changed. All was good with everything else, till he picked it up that is. Could only build to 65 psi and would bleed off in 3 min. They finally had to replace 3 air lines and a splitter on the trans. He's thinking the guy who road tested it may not have been familiar with the trans.

Boree and Ozdriver Thank this.
  6. Ozdriver

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    I isolated the air system to the trans, plugged the air tank trans supply. Same with the Horton and air compressor.

7. Ozdriver

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    Definitely not the transmission because like I said I isolated it.
    Last time I had a mystery leak it was a pin hole in one of the air tanks, and a year later same think happened to another air tank, so I replaced all three. But I'm leaning towards thinking it's an air tank. It's hard to trace a leak with soapy water on the air tanks because of the brackets etc (actually I use Windex window cleaner)

passingthru69 and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  8. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    Can you plug some workshop Air into the Wet tank?
    A big long hose & keep It up around the 110-120 PSI mark. Should have better chance of hearing it at that pressure!!

Ozdriver Thanks this.
  9. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Used to just drain the tanks and fill with freon and use a sniffer. Not supposed to do that anymore.

Ozdriver Thanks this.
  10. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    I see you haven't mentioned this yet, but worth a shot. I had a air leak and pulled my hair trying to find it, but I eventually did and was the fitting under the cab supply the air seat. Good luck.

Ozdriver Thanks this.
  11. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Try one of these IMG_1267.JPG

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.