In Cab Securement

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Joethemechanic, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    Securing things shouldn't end with the cargo area of the truck. Unsecured stuff in the cab can be very dangerous. Flatbedders tend to collect stuff in the cab, but what I am talking about applies no matter what you haul or what kind of trailer you pull, but I am going to explain it from a flatbedders perspective.

All kinds of things end up in the cab. Cargo straps, cheater pipes, winch bars, tool boxes, hammers, bungie cords, tarps, I even see guys with chains and binders and bottle jacks on the passenger side floor.

In an accident all this stuff goes flying around the cab beating the heck out of you. If you still are trying to control the truck during the accident and you have stuff flying around the cab, your chances of maintaining control of the truck are somewhere between slim and none.

Just a note on the bottle jack thing, Back in my former life as a scrap metal hauler, a guy I worked with turned over a dump trailer while dumping. He had a 10 ton bottle jack on the passenger side floor (scrap haulers get lots of flats). He turned over driver's side down. The bottle jack hit him in the head and almost killed him. I think he was in the hospital for a month.

So anyway my cab was getting full of stuff that I knew shouldn't be there. And I have been pulling customer's trailers a lot lately. Our company trailers are all equipped with chains, binders, and straps, but the customer's trailers may or may not have anything on them. So I have to carry them in my tractor.

Only one solution, A bigger box, It's big, green, and ugly. But there is no way I am driving around with all that dangerous stuff in my cab. I have known of too many guys that got hurt that way.

[​IMG]

Don't laugh, I already had it, it fit right on, and bolted down really easily. It was the best solution I could come up with on short notice over the weekend.

One other thing I wanted to mention about securement, Don't forget to secure yourself with a safety belt. Not only does it keep you from going through a windshield or something like that, but it can help you stay in better control of the truck during an accident by keeping you in the seat. And I hear the DOT guys look to see who is wearing one, when they are picking out trucks to inspect.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

On all of our trucks, we include a 45 cubic foot plastic box behind the cab for the various fittings and stuff we have to carry. And if a driver requests it, they buy a side mounted box and install it on the tractor for them. We know how much stuff we need to take along with us, including spare parts for the trailers, tools, a large assortment of fittings and things we need to handle the various types of railcars and different products we encounter. I do prefer the plastic boxes though, since they are immune to road salt and the steel box you have isn't.

4. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    I had a plastic box on there but it was too small. I really liked it too. But I found out Friday night I was going to be working breaking down and setting up cranes all this week and I had to come up with something better than having a ton of extra stuff in my cab and 8 chains in an old steel milk crate strapped down to my deck plate like I did Monday and Tuesday of last week. I have been looking for a headache rack, but it looks like I might just have to bite the bullet and buy a new one

5. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    This is an excellent point to bring up. Even in gasoline tankers, what you carry in the cab should not hurt you if you roll over. Now that sounds crazy but it happens more time than one would think. We had a common carrier hauling one of our loads down to AZ and he dozed off and the trailer went into the dirt. He was in a truck and trailer so when he over-reacted the back trailer whipped him enough to flip the truck. What's amazing is this driver rolled onto the passenger side and slid for awhile then hit a bump and went upside down. He was sliding upside down when he hit another bump and it righted the truck. All he had was a dislocated shoulder and a bull story about what happened. Plus there was no spill. If he would have had a hammer or something heavy up in the cab it could of killed him. BTW, he no longer hauls gasoline.

6. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    A trailer broke in half on an exit ramp and the rig layed over on its left side. My friend said that the worst of it was his suitcase on the passenger seat popping open and dumping his dirty laundry on his head. :biggrin_25520:

7. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Start searching Ebay for headache racks. I run that search frequently, and there are plenty of decent ones out there, priced reasonably. The key with them is that most are not shippable, but have to be picked up. and as such, unless you live near you won't bid on one. I have looked at several nice ones on the east coast, but it's unrealistic for someone in the midwest. I'm not looking for one, it;s just a search that I habitually run.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.