In cabin carbon monoxide and chronic health issues.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by NoelHunt, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    I have a feeling our friend here will end up with quite the extensive "ignore" list.

Nice to know I've finally made it onto someone's. I was feeling left out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheHealthyDriver

TheHealthyDriver Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Stony Mountain, MB

######! I wanted to know where this guy went and did his residency at, and then where his following studies of people who drive and have autonomic issues were published. But, alas, he's off the thread. I guess I'll never know.

RoadToad69 and Injun Thank this.
  4. RoadToad69

RoadToad69 Mistress of Mayhem

Sep 20, 2007
    BFE, TX
    First off...I am an O/O....I do not need my company's permission to idle. I pay for the fuel so I idle when I please.
    Second, yes, I do have a disorder...a couple actually. I have a connective tissue disorder called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. It is very common in EDS to have autonomic nervous system dysfunction secondary to the EDS. Mine happens to be an issue with my body's ability to thermoregulate correctly. I get overheated, my body temperature rises....that day it got up to 102.8 and went back down just as quickly once I was able to cool off.
    Third...until this incident, my company did not know I had ANY health issues. That is because, rather than whine about them, I found solutions for myself. I leased a truck with an APU so that I was free to idle and so I had an APU for a/c.
    I live with chronic joint pain - I don't take painkillers so that I can drive rather than sitting on my #$$ at home on disability, sucking off the public tit...which I could easily do. I also live with chronic GI pain. Go ahead and Google Ehlers-Danlos...get enlightened...because I promise you...every d**n day is a struggle for me...but I'd rather deal with that then sit around waiting for handouts.
    Fourth....impaired judgment, agitation and irritability are all symptoms of acute carbon monoxide poisoning.

So, if I blew my cool...ONLY ONE TIME IN MY TRUCKING CAREER.... considering all of the above....well excuse the heck out of me. Glad YOU are so incredibly perfect and have such an easy and blessed life. Not all of us are so fortunate.

For the record, I did apologize PROFUSELY to the mechanic once I regained my composure...because I honestly felt horrified about the whole incident.

RT

Injun Thanks this.
  5. RoadToad69

Sep 20, 2007
    BFE, TX
    Deleted...duplicate post...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  6. RoadToad69

Sep 20, 2007
    BFE, TX
    Also for the record... I did go to the doctor and the levels of CO in my blood as determined by a blood yes, were consistent with acute carbon monoxide poisoning.

And...to help curtail any further problems with the thermoregulation issue, I have ordered a cooling vest and worked it out with my company so that, if needed, they will advance me funds needed for APU repair on the road and deduct it from my next payroll. As the truck os still under lease the contract requires all APU repairs be done at a company shop to be covered under the guaranteed maintenance plan. If done on the road then it is at the driver's expense. So it will still be at my expense but they will give me an advance to pay it and it will then be deducted from my pay - which I have no complaints about. They have also agreed to show me how to replace the belts and do the simpler repairs myself...at my request.

RT

7. WTF53534

WTF53534 Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2014
    OK so is there a device that i can buy that WORKS

8. SteveBausch

SteveBausch Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Indianapolis, Indiana
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve read reports in past about low level long term exposure. Diesels not producing as much as Gasoline causing headaches especially. Most battery operated detectors will build up and store levels over time eventually giving off a false alarm. Plug in type much better

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.