In CDL School - Starter Companies are Overwhelming

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Tidal88, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Tidal88

Tidal88 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Florida
    Hey Everybody -

I started CDL school last week and have 50/160 hours completed. I'm liking driving when I can and have the paperwork aspect on lock.

My biggest concern is choosing the wrong company. I'm not clueless and think the first year is going to be a parade, I just want to limit how miserable it would have the potential to become.

So far, I have multiple conditional pre-hires:

Schneider
    Covenant
    Stevens Transport
    US Xpress
    Roehl

I live in Florida and don't really want to relocate as both my wife and I have family here. I'm not looking to team if I can avoid it and I potentially want to O/O if I enjoy it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I can answer any other questions that aren't covered above.

Thanks,

Tidal

Güera, Need4Speed and TripleSix Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where are you in Florida?
    Do you have endorsements?

Hpaulsen29 Thanks this.
  4. Tidal88

Tidal88 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Florida
    Haines City. Central Florida.

Tanker and Doubles/Triples. I will be testing for Hazmat on February 6th because I was given bad information at the DMV and won't have any other time to take it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Fastenal
    Abilene Motor Express
    Freymiller - www.drive4freymiller.com (new cdl grads click on "Restore Program")
    Contract Freighters www.cfidrive.com
    MCT Transportation
    Shaffer Trucking
    FFE (Frozen Food Express)-terminal in Winterhaven & Miami)
    All the above hire new cdl grads and hire in Florida.

Tidal88 Thanks this.
  6. captjimmy

captjimmy Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Florida
    The only thing I can add to this is about Stevens. My friend drove for them for 14 months. He loved it but family issues forced him to come back to FL. He said he got great mileage consistently, cpm wasn’t great but not the worst either, equipment was very nice, etc. The only negative he had was that 90%of staff, including his dispatcher, were rude and not very helpful. He ended up leasing after 6 mos. and was satisfied with that as well. Also keep in mind that a lot of companies, even if not listed by your school, will reimburse you for that schooling.

Need4Speed and Tidal88 Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's the industry that should be pretty overwhelming the first few months out. Anyone can get through school. The problem is the first year or so risk to you hitting stuff and breaking the trucks or other peoples stuff. And then getting dismissed for it. The skills you earn in that time will be the foundation for life should you make it that far.

You might say oh no I wont hit stuff, and we will believe you. But wait until they slop a dollar general dedicate into your lap. Some of those places you WILL either get hit or be hit lol. Stay away from DG accounts.

8. Tidal88

Tidal88 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Florida
    Yeah, I've heard any of the dollar accounts put you into some tight docks and are generally in crappy areas, especially if it's in a larger City.

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to join the million miles of safe driving club if I can help it.

9. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    What type of freight do you want to haul, flatbed, reefer, dry van? As long as you have a good driving and work record you'll have options other than the Megas.

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  10. Tidal88

Tidal88 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Florida
    I want the opportunity to make as much money as I can and I'm not opposed to working for it. Flatbed and Tanker are probably my biggest choices because it'll get me out of the truck and working while still getting paid in accessorial pay. That's not to say if a good offer in dry van or reefer came up that I wouldn't consider it. Just trying to keep my options wide open and get a feel for everything.

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  11. Tidal88

Tidal88 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Florida
    Driving history isn't bad. Two speeding tickets in 5 years. Work history is consistent.

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.