In desperate need of something new

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by DuvalKid, May 22, 2018.

1. DuvalKid

DuvalKid Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey guys,

Ive been with coke for about 8 months now(small store merchandiser) and I am sick of all the obnoxious store managers( did you feel up and organize everything?? Meaning their cooler was already messed up and want me to fix it), strenuous work, “play-favorites” managers and just about everything else. I contemplate quitting every morning before going in. I’m located in Atlanta and just need a breath of fresh air with a wholesome company. I thought about going to food service but I realized it would be the same bs. Would my chances of landing a line haul gig be good with only 8 months local exp? Or do you guys have some suggestions for me?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lcfd15

lcfd15 Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Most all carriers want you to have at least 1 year CDL experience with all of your endorsements before they will touch you. Some will give you lead way and offer you a dock to driver program if you do not have the full year allowing you to work part time dock/ pt driver to make a ft schedule. Just have to feel it out and start filling out applications to see what some companies will offer you.

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    can't you put in for linehaul at Coke, keep your union benefits and HUGE pension?

coke, pepsi, UPS, retirees get "about" 5 grand a month when they retire, PLUS SS......

i'd stick it out for the future........

driverdriver Thanks this.
  5. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    I'd stick it out for that one solid first year,
    Then why not go Hazmat tanker? Depending on the work no more shippers and receivers to deal with, or they are more than happy to see you when you arrive. From oil, chem, fuel, and cryo I've loved them all it would be real hard to get me back in a box.

coastietruckin' and driverdriver Thank this.
  6. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    LTL. Contrary to some advice where it might apply (location varies), not all terminals require 1 year. This varies even in the same company. Atlanta should give lots of opportunities. Can't go wrong with any major LTL.

I recommend ODFL.

7. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Yep. While I'm not in yet, LTL's have certainly entertained the idea of me working for them. Talk to other drivers, visit barns, and keep putting in apps. From watching merch guys work, I'd much rather do P&D.

8. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Not sure about Atlanta, but I know Jacksonville and Tampa have bulk ingredient routes and night time trailer transport positions that require less physical labor than 'driver merchandisers' try that maybe?

Also like someone above said maybe try and dock/driver position

9. Romeoecho

Romeoecho Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Is there a trick to finding these jobs? I've been looking for quite a while and there never seem to be any listings on how sites (indeed) in Idaho. Been thinking to try out local gas hauling.

10. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Start looking at the local gas stations for who delivers there. Might be a little local outfit that doesn't have a website or want to pay Indeed for every name. Always have something to write with when you're driving around, look them up later but get that name. I have pages of those notes, but I'm a newbie so most are dead ends.

Find out where the nearest fuel rack is (ask a driver at a gas station) and go watch the entrance for a while. Everybody will go there at some point. Write 'em all down and sort them out later.

Also, the truck stop companies, Loves (Gemini), Pilot, Maverik run lots of fuel. Then there are regional/nationals like Groendyke, KAG, etc.

The worst they'll do is say no. Although I have gotten smirky replies from Trimac and Coastal for example, both of which are now off the list for when I do have the experience they want.

bentstrider83 and Romeoecho Thank this.
  11. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Pepsi does NOT get $5k a month. Don't know where you heard that. I worked there and all the old timers who were looking to retire within 5 years were talking a out how pathetic the Pepsi pension was compared to some others. One guy had 34 years in and counting, he was looking at less than $1500 a month. Now that's better than nothing but it's a far cry from $5k.

But given how bad the pay is and how crappy they treat their employees it isnt worth spending 30+ years there.

Pepsi's equivalent to line drivers only get in the mid .40s CPM..You're going to get 20 cents more than that at the big LTL carriers.

coastietruckin' Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.