In the Prime Light

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Chevy_Dude, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chevy_Dude

Chevy_Dude Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I thought I would write a thread about my time at Prime. I started the student training here in Springfield yesterday. I didn't have a permit and have only ever sat in a tractor once, a long time ago. So this is coming from a total newbie to the trucking industry.

Yesterday was hectic, felt like I was joining the Air Force again, a lot of papers to sign, go to this room and wait, go to that room and wait some more. Everyone seems nice and helpful though. The millenium building is something else, really good food too.

I waited until today to start this thread, wasn't sure if my blood pressure was going to check out this morning, it didn't yesterday. If your pressure is not at or below 140/90, then you go home for 30 days and can try again after that. You have to start all over again, paperwork and all. I forgot to take my meds yesterday, so that's why it was high, it was fine today. You get two chances to pass this, once on the day everyone is tested and then the following morning if needed.

Took the tests at the Prime training location for the permit, passed them all. Hazmat, tankers and doubles/triples too. Figured why not try them, it was free and the testers were here. I'll head to the DMV at 1500 to get the permit card and then I am done for the day.

As far as the testing goes, you can take one test, like general knowledge for example and then go back to your room and study, come back and take another test. Rinse and repeat for all the tests you want to take. That helped me to pass the endorsement stuff.

I guess that's about it for now. i'll try to keep this updated the best I can. If you have questions, ask away and I'll try to answer them.

mustang970, Baack and TruckerMike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chevy_Dude

Chevy_Dude Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Another day spent in classes, logbook, load securing, high value loads procedures. Tomorrow is supposed to be spent on the training pad, get to drive some. Possible that I'll be headed out with an instructor tomorrow afternoon/evening for my 100 hours.

4. TruckerMike

TruckerMike Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Chicago
    Hi Chevy Dude. I'm here in Springfield as well staying at the lovely Campus Inn. I'm sure you're probably staying here too. I came in on Tuesday evening with my CDL already and will start as a "C" Class driver after tomorrow once orientation is done. I'm not sure when I'll have a trainer, but hopefully soon.

That first day is a bit hectic. I felt like I was part of a herd of cattle being told to do this, do that, be poked and prodded by this guy, pee in this cup, fingerprints here, fill out those forms there. It was very tiring, but today was much better. In fact, I think we were in the same exact logbook, load securing, and high value load procedures classes. Don't tell me you missed the sexual harassment lecture! LOL! Actually, the guy who does the sexual harassment thing is pretty cool. He knows it's just something the company has to do and is very realistic, doesn't preach, and makes it quite humorous. Not sure if you had the safety class today either, but if not, it's something to look forward to. The guy who does it is really funny.

I also agree that the Millennium building is something else. Marble floors, nice gym, movie theater, good food (which Prime is paying for while I'm in orientation; breakfast, lunch, and dinner), great lounge areas (smoking and non-smoking), video games, pool tables, laundry, showers, etc. VERY nice place. The owner, Rob Low, wanted to build something nice for the drivers. I think he succeeded.

We'll see how things go once I hit the road, but so far it's been a very positive experience. Everyone I've met so far has been very friendly and they all seem to have a great sense of humor. Many of the complaints that have been addressed in this forum about Prime has been talked about already. They seem to be pretty straight up about everything so far. Even if it's something you may not want to hear, they will tell you about it. As an example, I've seen many compaints around here about hometime. The company has never claimed hometime as one of their perks. Even my recruiter told me that I'd be out for at least 3 weeks at a time. This is a minimum. They tell you to plan on 5 weeks when you first go out with a trainer, maybe more, maybe less. I just don't understand those of you who have complained about hometime. Maybe they were deceitful when you went through orientation, but they've made the hometime issue very clear to me. It seems like they want to prepare their new drivers on all aspects, good and bad. Most of the bad things people talk about in the forums, the company seems to have good reasoning for doing what they do. It's just not understood by the drivers. And if drivers have a problem which can't be resolved by their FM, everyone has an open door policy. I've been given home phone numbers for a number of people in this organization. Also, all corporate offices are accessible by drivers. There is no bullet proof glass separating drivers from dispatchers or anything like that. The only places a driver can't go in the Millennium building is the day care (unless you have a pass), and obvious rooms like computer control rooms, etc. All offices are free to roam, including the owners office. The owner of the company can be found in the gym everyday during lunch periods. He challenges everyone to play him in a game of basketball. I guess he played in college and is quite good. I understand he also comes out for lunch or dinner on Fridays to mingle with the drivers in the Millennium building, but I have yet to see that as I've only been here a few days. It seems like he is liked by most drivers and staff, but regardless, he's taken this company a long way from one single dump truck.

I've been speaking with a lot of drivers here and most seem to be real happy. Sounds like many of the lease operators have struggled starting this year off, but a few said that miles are picking up. I'm just shocked at how many drivers are lease operators. It seems like lease operators dominate this company. Leasing scares the crap out of me, so I'm going to go company driver until I really understand what I'd be getting myself into. But the lease operators I've been speaking with say it's a great program.

Anyway, don't mean to hijack your thread. Just thought I'd share my experience so far. And as of this point, it's positive. The real test will come when I hit the road. But as far as "starter companies" go, this seems to be as good as any, so long as you can handle the long training process.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I haven't seen a bad truck or trailer yet. Everything looks like it's in great shape with most trucks having APU's. Although, I did hear that somebody managed to roll a truck in the yard last night. How he managed that, I have not clue.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  5. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    I'd like to say to both TruckerMike & Chevy Dude keep thread going. Find it ineresting, and can learn alot about a company from somebody new, the views don't seem to so clouded.

6. channel 19

channel 19 Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2009
    michigan
    how is the freight at prime now better

7. redneck31

redneck31 Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Ozark,MO
    freight is picking up now

8. channel 19

channel 19 Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2009
    michigan
    u think prime is a pretty good company i been hearing alot of good things about prime mostly saying stay away from lease thanks redneck for your input:biggrin_25519:

9. Hellbound1

Hellbound1 Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Shokan, NY
    I have just graduated from a school and have been pre-hired by prime to start next monday. I have also been pre-hired by a smaller company to start next monday as well. just having a hard time deciding which way to go. can't find any good or bad about smaller company.

10. Truckin4life

Truckin4life Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Hoffman Estates, IL
    Hi TruckerMike & Chevy Dude, I too am going to be at Prime this coming Monday, just have my IL CDL permit, but at leaset I won't have to test for the Basic, Air Brakes and Combo stuff, just Hazmat. This is a great thread that you have started , great info. Looking forward to getting down there and starting my new career with Prime.

11. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    Unless you plan on keeping a MO CDL.. there is no point in taking the Hazmat test here. You will have to take it again when you switch your liscense to IL or whatever state you are from.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.