In what state can you transfer your Canadian license for a State CDL

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Aarrons, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Aarrons

Aarrons Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    It was once available for transfer in Arizona

I got this reply to an inquiry

ADOT Response: Good morning. Thank you for your inquiry. We no longer are accepting Mexico or Canada CDL’s to transfer. The applicants must pass written and road test. To view the Commercial Driver License Manual go to www.azdot.gov/mvd. In the left menu bar click on “Driver Services”. Scroll down to “Commercial Driver License” and click on “Commercial Driver License Manual”. Thank you for using our email service. Have a nice day.
    4/7/2017 11:14:25 AM

thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    I think every state requires you to retest.

not4hire Thanks this.
  4. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Why would you want a US CDL? You cannot just get a license and work in the USA. You might even have to be a resident. If so what would you use for Health Care.? Where would you pay taxes?

5. Aarrons

Aarrons Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    I am an American citizen, the thing is almost nobody hires you with an NON-American CDL even if they are approved by FMCSA, or can a dual citizen with Canadian license get easily employed by an American company?

6. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Have you applied??? Tell them that you're an American with a valid CDL.

7. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Try contacting a carrier who has a division in both countries. For example Celadon, Schneider National, Lynden Transport or Trans X and give them your story. They may recognize your license. You may have to be domiciled out a Canadian terminal because of the origin of your license.

8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    A Canadian citizen or permanent resident with a valid Class 1/AZ can work for a U.S. carrier, regardless of whether the carrier has a Canadian office or not. Of course cabotage rules still apply for any movements in the U.S. However, this would be an advantage for a dual-citizen.

My understanding is that @Aarrons does not have a Class 1/AZ/CDL.

9. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Based on the title of this thread and his posts it sounds like he has a Canadian license and he's having difficulty getting hired with it in the US.

tariq sana Thanks this.
  10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    My post is based on more than this thread.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A canadian license generally stays in the area where there are companies in canada. It's no different than me staying inside the USA and visit canada occasionally when a load is going that way. But usually nothing coming out which is ok because there are like a thousand reloads a mile past the border.

If you wanting a US CDL, you need to either be a dual citizen or you have emigrated from Canada to become an American Citzen or get a h1b work visa. Or better yet just work for a canadian company that does trucking inside the USA or even Mexico. Newsprint in large rolls coming out of the Ontario area for midatlantic news papers come to mind.

Most of the time people never have the problem of getting a CDL in a different nation in their life time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.