Incidents

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Wicked Boody, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Wicked Boody

Wicked Boody Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I've had 3 non-collision incidents in the last 2 years. I've been driving 30 years. This is a propane truck & there were no further complications. This could have been worse carrying hazardous materials & that's why I had these on my report but thankfully nothing horrendous happened. I'm seeing less opportunity for employment with the Companies I'm currently trying to get into. What is the rate of incidents for a driver per year or 5 year rates? OSHA does an easy calculation for a company with 20 employees but no answer for the above. Will a company tend not to hire a CDL with my background having the new incidents due to liability as in a smaller company and or will a bigger company overlook it because they can afford the insurance? I've never had this issue until this year. Thanks for any answers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Most companies classify incidents as accidents.
    Was the vehicle in motion when the incidents occurred?
    Was the vehicle struck by debris or another object while stopped in traffic or legally parked?
    Were you in the drivers seat when the incidents occurred?

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    each company defines accidents and incidents differently.

right now, YOU are calling them incidents, but what has YOUR employer really called them?

i worked for companies that anything UNDER $100 was an incident.

anything OVER $100 was an accident.

for instance, ripping off the trailer door hinges, was an incident, if they were the white metal "easy to break and save the door" type of hinges.

where as the hard steel hinges, would rip OFF the door or part of the door frame.....

THATS AN ACCIDENT.......as the costs will be into the hundreds of dollars..>!!!!!!

your company very well may indeed keep all of this ion your file and most likely WILL tell another employer when called for a reference.

5. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    If no tickets were issued. Don't mention it in applications.

6. Wicked Boody

Wicked Boody Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Yes. 1 incident I hit a soft shoulder while using a hands free radio required (S.O.P.) after each & every stop. This device which is meant to be safe yet contradicts its self.
    Other incident was a car parked halfassed & I caught the bumper. Slight gash in rubber bumper. No one in parked vehicle.

stwik and Intothesunset Thank this.
  7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    That is two, hmm.
    When you say you hit a soft shoulder, you must have run off the road far enough to get stuck, or some damage resulted, how else would the company even know of it?
    On the parked car, apparently there was sufficient damage that the company had to be notified too.
    What is the third one.
    I don't think it will make much or even any difference being hazmat, but if your company reports them, it could be a factor when a new company is looking at you.
    All that said, there are companies that will hire you, if your record is somewhat clean otherwise.

8. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Both of these incidents you mention are accidents. Not are they only accidents, but they were preventable accidents.
    In both cases you were operating the vehicle, and you ran off the road in the first and hit a stationary object in the second. You would need to report both of these on all application you fill out that ask for them.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I would have problems with these two, especially the first one. You communicate before you start moving.

ZVar, TripleSix, JoeyJunk and 2 others Thank this.
  10. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Tell us where you live and what type of work you are looking for.
    There are many companies that will hire you.

11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    those two a accidents..... They count kind of in a not good way. Both preventable accidents, not showing that your paying attention while driving a bomb down the road does not help with a new job.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.