Increase my gvw?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Mikesuburban1, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Mikesuburban1

Mikesuburban1 Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Rockland county ny
    I have a tri axle flatbed
    . When we registered the truck they gave us a 57k gvw. We haul pavers a 57k gvw isn't much to work with. I see dump trucks with 72k gvw with the same wheelbase as me! Why is this? Can someone help me understand? Also I noticed on the title and registration it says truck type refg not flatbed and unladen weight is 32k but on the scale it's only 26k. Truck is registered in NY I know nothing about this so any info is much appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    You get a NYS blanket overweight permit. Idk triaxle I think ny stops at 72k for non construction material(?) on a straight truck, you have to have a steerable on any lift axle; all tires, axles and suspension parts have to be rated accordingly. Got to go to Albany for it.

brian991219 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. Mikesuburban1

Mikesuburban1 Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Rockland county ny
    My truck was spec'd heavy so its built for weight. I do most of my paver pick ups in NJ so does the permit still apply?

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Is there a special registration for dump trucks in NY?

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The bridge laws are effecting the gvw, the axle ratings for all axles are not used as an aggregate for the total gross capacity, there is a formula used to determine the new gross capacity when axles are added based on wheel base and placement of the axles to meet the bridge law requirements.

I would contact a dealer to find out more.

brian991219 and wis bang Thank this.
  7. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    No, the R permit is for New York only. New Jersey is going to restrict you to bridge laws which depend on the overall axle spacing. Off the top of my head 64,500 is about the max you can get in NJ and that is with a long truck, 30+ feet from center of steer axle to center of rear most drive axle. Then there is the inner bridge spacing to consider as well.

Don't hold me to my number above, it is late and I am tired. Didn't look anything up just going by memory.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.