Independent Dispatcher

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dispatch Danni, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Dispatch Danni

Dispatch Danni Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2021
    I started dispatching for UPS in 2017. Mostly dispatched loads from DCs to the 3PL carriers long hauls. Tracked and traces covering loads. I worked with tons of brokers and freight forwarders. I always worked as a Logistics Coordinator with Hapag Lloyd. In this position I worked with the rails and ports around the world.

That’s my background and from that I saw that the driver and dispatcher are the critical people to get things done but are always handed pennies to the dollar. I worked in the offices where an email will sit 4-5hrs and a driver’s time is wasted for people goofing off. I saw how things were mishandled and I couldn’t do anything so to office politics. Procurement would low ball owner operators but pay big dollars for to a big name company that drops the ball.

I started my own dispatch services that cater to the owner operators. I decided to base my company on providing transparency, quality and fair pay. I understand how to negotiate with procurement departments and sales teams. I looked at various load boards and thought about taking a cdl class just to have it. But I want to market myself to owner operators and ask for advice as well. I don’t waste time and I wouldn’t waste others. I believe everyone should be paid fair and I haven’t saw that as my experience as a dispatcher.

Corporate is a beast. I’m a good dispatcher all of my shippers and carriers would agree.

Peak season is coming up and this is the perfect time to link up with ideas and opportunities. What tracking software is best to use? Where do I find dependable trustworthy owner operators?

I also want to dispatch legally because I saw there’s 25k fine for each illegally bol dispatched. I was thinking of being classified as a freight agent for legal purposes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well just a couple thoughts because I get solicitation for this weekly.

first is before you try to get o/o lined up, you have to have work behind you. I had one guy waste my time with no customers or proof of one. I need people to talk to so to confirm they are able to dispatch consistently.

What is your focus, contracted freight, spot from load boards, scraping off of load boards … what? <<< this is what you have to answer yourself first before you can answer here.

software?

don't know but don’t be cheap like getting some app on a phone or a tablet. Get a good computer, spend the few thousand to license a good package and get trained on it.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  4. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Heavy Load Member

Apr 25, 2021
    That's a great commercial you have there.

88 Alpha, Truck Norris and OldeSkool Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted