Independent o/o cargo insurance?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Annonymous, May 18, 2017.

1. Annonymous

Annonymous Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Connecticut
    Now I'm not an owner operator yet however I like to do my research prior to jumping into things that's the smart way of doing it so last year before I even had any experience driving a tractor trailer I called Progressive to get a quote on cargo insurance and they told me $42,000 with $20,000 down payment. That can't be what people are actually doing am I right? I think I was called it that because I had no experience and I didn't have a MC number or DOT number am I right?
    My uncle is a broker I can get loads, have a bachelor's in business... And I'm an entrepreneur I make things happen I'm a hustler so granted while I am new in the industry I have the business mentality in the business Drive for this industry. I'm only explaining that because I get a lot of people telling me to wait years down the line but that's not what I'm going to do you try to get in and do my own thing soon. I make it happen I make it work. But this cargo insurance is insane I don't have $20,000 to put down on cargo insurance. By the time I'm ready to go independent I might have 18 months as a CDL driver. What are you guys paying for cargo insurance and also this your experience and what you're pulling because it can't be $42,000 with $20,000 down for pulling a dry van. That's insane. Lol. I don't have any accidents on Mclean driver by the way to let me just add that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mrice

Mrice Bobtail Member

May 19, 2017
    Im in the same position. hopefully you will get some good replies.i got quoted from progressive today on a hotshot rig set up 2014 3500 duramax with a new pj 40 ft low deck gooseneck. and the quote was 32k for 1mill and 100k cargo but i do have 2 tickets and one at fault accident almost 3 years ago. now i had a guy tell me today that when i get my dot number there is no problem but when he got his mc # his insurace dropped him. kinda puzzled me and cant seem to get an explination.

Annonymous Thanks this.
  4. Annonymous

Feb 2, 2017
    Connecticut
    Yeah as far as I know you need an MC number so I don't see why the insurance company would drop him when he got his MC number because you can't even get insurance without one as far as I knew. I'm going to be getting my own authority soon I'm going to apply for it and get all the legal stuff done over the next few weeks and I'm going to call them back Progressive and get quoted again and I will update this hopefully we'll get some responses between now and then

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Why is this in the lease-purchase part of the forum?

Annonymous Thanks this.
  6. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
  7. Annonymous

Feb 2, 2017
    Connecticut
    Sorry I messed up. I'm new to this site.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.