Indian River

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Tanker_82, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Tanker_82

Tanker_82 Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    I just realized in post #909 I said I left out on July 5th and took a load from McAllen, TX to Newark. That was a mistake. I took the load from McAllen to Flemington, New Jersey - not Newark. They’re only 47 miles apart, so it doesn’t make much difference, but I didn’t want to post incorrect information on here. That one was a drop/hook.

Redtwin and tommymonza Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Or last time I spoke with them 1 year tanker.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  4. GreyBeardGuy

GreyBeardGuy Light Load Member

May 30, 2019
    What's their policy on chains? I live in CA and see them up and down 5/99. After 2 back surgeries I just can't be bending over a tire!

5. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    No forced chaining is what I was told. You do occasionally need to climb on top of the tank to open/close the hatch so maybe take that into consideration if you have back issues.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  6. GreyBeardGuy

May 30, 2019
    I appreciate the info! Securing a dome lid wouldn’t be too bad.

7. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2020
    This thread has me seriously thinking quitting driving reefers and trying my hand at tanks.

Tanker_82, Bud A. and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  8. GreyBeardGuy

May 30, 2019
    I've yanked tanks for 12 of my 34 years driving. Hauled hazmat and food grade. IRT have no pumps, you get loaded and unloaded! No docks, lumpers, pallets, no touching freight. Sometimes you may have to wait due to production issues, but it's better than pulling a van!

9. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Food grade tankers have all those advantages, but one huge disadvantage I have found is much lower miles than reefer or dry van. When you consider how long it takes to load or unload a tanker there is no way there are enough hours in the day to get in the miles.

With a company like Indian River that doesn't pay detention or layover, low miles can equal $400 checks, something I never experienced hauling vans or reefers.

10. GreyBeardGuy

May 30, 2019
    Gosh I used to get loaded in under an hour, unloading varied but many times even quicker. 2012 I was taking home 725wk pulling food grade.

Bud A. and Redtwin Thank this.
  11. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I've never had a loading or unloading take less than an hour. Some products I have hauled have taken as much as 4 hrs. Really depends on the facility and their pumps etc.

Some busier dairy plants there may be 3 or 4 trucks ahead of you in which case you know you will be getting in a 10hr break so might as well get dinner out of the way and hit the bunk.

Bud A., Lonesome and tommymonza Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.