Indian River

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Tanker_82, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Thanks, I will definitely take a closer look. I have 4+ years current experience, but I do have an equipment defect ticket from 2018. Taking the truck home isn't an option so will look at what else can be worked out. A South or Central FL terminal where truck could be parked would be advantageous.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    I'm not applying there...I was just curious..But thanks.

4. Tanker_82

Tanker_82 Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    We are not forced to chain up at IRT. It’s your choice. I chain up if I have enough hours left to justify it, or if I’m in a situation where it gives me peace of mind.

I’ve ran across Oregon on Highway 97 several times late at night where it just felt better having chains on in different areas. If it’s dark, and no one is around who could see me slide off the road and call for help, snow coming down heavy in a National Forest, sharp drop offs, etc. I will chain up a few tires and cruise at 30 mph with a cup of coffee and peace of mind. In situations like that, you usually aren’t driving faster than 30 or 40 anyway, so I play it safe and put a few chains on. It’s up to you though. Sometimes I will put one chain on one tire before pulling into the tank wash in Washington, because we drop and hook a lot, and if the snow hasn’t been bladed in the parking lot, it’s hard to bobtail around when I’m switching trailers. When I leave the tank wash I stop at the gate and throw the chain back in the box.

I’m still happy here. December will be my 4 year anniversary. My miles are still great, I rarely pull anything less than 1,000 miles. I’m in California right now. I brought a load from Baltimore to L.A. I left on Thursday, delivered on Monday. 3,000 miles a week is a good average for me. I did a Champlain, NY to Walla Walla, Washington last month. They reloaded me in Washington and sent me to Bradenton, Florida after that. Then I did some Florida to Pennsylvania and then back to Florida loads. I made 3 or 4 trips up and down the East Coast before coming to California from Baltimore. There’s not anything to complain about in my opinion. I’m a go anywhere, anytime driver. I’m not familiar with $400 paychecks like the other person mentioned. The only time I have a small check is when I take 4 or 5 days of home time. Outside of that, I’ve been here almost 4 years and rarely see anything less than a grand every week. I’ve been paid detention time on the rare occasion that a facility has problems or my truck goes in the shop. I do a lot of drop and hooks, so waiting around isn’t really an issue at shippers / receivers. I think if you’re willing to work, don’t complain all the time, stay away from the gossip circles, and aren’t a high maintenance driver they’ll run you hard and give you all the miles you want. It’s worked out good for me. IRT is the best job I’ve had.

5. Yankee1919

Yankee1919 Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2019
    @Tanker_82
    I'm interested in tankers does IRT require experience. Also in your opinion what's a good starter tanker company. Thanks & be safe

Tanker_82 Thanks this.
  6. Tanker_82

Tanker_82 Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    I don’t want to speak out of turn on here when it comes to the criteria like that. I assume things can change in the office and be different than they were 4 years ago when I hired on, so I don’t want to risk putting out inaccurate information on a forum. I’m positive we still require experience, but I’m not sure if it’s still 2 years OTR or if it’s only 1 year now. I don’t know if a school certificate waived that either. If it were me, I would call the office in Winter Haven, FL and ask if you can be transferred to the recruiting department. They will have more up to date information on the hiring criteria than I do since it’s been several years since I hired on. I’m pretty sure the experience doesn’t have to be with a tanker.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  7. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    As far as I know, they require 2 years experience or 1 year tanker. If you specifically want a starter tanker company, Prime may be good. There are other tank haulers that may hire someone with no experience but that would probably depend on how badly a certain terminal needs drivers. I wouldn't consider that a "starter" company though.

8. Yankee1919

Aug 5, 2019
    Thanks Redtwin
    Thanks Tanker_82

Tanker_82 Thanks this.
  9. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2020
    Just got my x endorsement. Sent in my application to IRT. Looking to start beginning of November.

Tanker_82, Speed_Drums and Redtwin Thank this.
  10. Yankee1919

Aug 5, 2019
  11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Good. When you start your orientation let us know how things are going for you. Start a thread about hiring on and what your first few months are like. A lot of people on TTR would appreciate it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.