Indiana I80/94 mile marker 6

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Cattleman84, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I was in the backup after this happened... Took about 40 mins to get from the state line to I65. It appeared that the red semi pictured in this article Rear ended another semi, glanced off of it and continued past the semi he had hit some 200 feet or so... Scattering pieces of his Truck all along the road as he came to a stop.

2 semis crash on I-80/94; eastbound traffic tied up for miles

Edit: upon closer look at the rest of the photos it looks as if the red semi was to far to the right when he went around tje white semi, and therefore clipped it... Clipped it hard!

5bcf49461f456.image.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I think the other truck was stopped on the shoulder to have done that (or perhaps almost all the way on the shoulder).

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Alas after a day there are no extra photos. Link only has one photo and a paragraph.

5. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    A red Volvo with a high DOT number (2100000 range). Chicagoland outfit maybe? Looks like he clipped one of JB Hunt’s day cab tractor trailers while running in “super trucker” mode.

Lepton1 and tommymonza Thank this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You have to run in “super trucker mode” on that stretch of road just to try and maintain separation from the wild ones. It’s dog eat dog world there.

Between the broke down trucks and the drivers stopping on the shoulder to get a Coke, the 55 mph trucks, the 70 mph trucks, the cars weaving in and out, it’s Mad Max out there, any time of day.

7. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    No, you don’t. You just have to pay attention to what you’re doing,be aware of your surroundings and reduce speed if necessary-NONE of which what that Volvo was doing(and that stretch of I80/94 near the state line has a 55 mph limit anyway IIRC).
    ISP is gonna have his nuts in a vise for this wreck. I used to live in Hammond a block away from the interstate near the Cline Ave exit and back then there wasn’t has many accidents as there is now.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I get that. Yes it’s 55 but what does that have to do with the reality. A lot of traffic gets funneled right there as several major cross country arteries converge for a time.

And lots of “white Volvo drivers” and can haulers who have no regard for speed or personal space.

9. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    There’s just a lot of drivers who have no COMMON SENSE that have forgotten the BASIC DRIVING SKILLS (such as DEFENSIVE DRIVING,CHECKING YOUR MIRRORS,maintaining safe following distance,etc). That is the reality..
    And the fact of the matter is if you cause a wreck there-both Lake County Sheriff’s Department and the Indiana State Police will be waiting,with ticket books in one hand(and possibly) handcuffs in the other.

Steele123 Thanks this.
  10. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I run through there about twice a week. My company is all over me about doing the speed limit.
    Scary riding along at 55 while you got trucks all blowing by you doing 75

tinytim and Bud A. Thank this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That's one stretch of road where I will do what I can to run with the bulk of the traffic, to the extent I can. Those narrow lanes and inattentive drivers ... I don't like passing or being passed any more than is absolutely necessary and I refuse to ride in or behind those frequent 10-truck packs with barely a truck length between any of them. Even if you try and lay back a safe distance, that rarely lasts for long and it an exercise in futility to try and maintain a safe distance without slowing down to a dangerously slow speed.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.