Indiana resident LF Solo Tanker CDL training

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by DJHunt317, Dec 2, 2017.

1. DJHunt317

DJHunt317 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Whats up guys?? I'm 33, have a class D Felony Receiving stolen property conviction from April 2004. Perfect driving record though, no points and no accidents. My dad was a driver since '88 and he always wanted me to drive and I tried in '07 but my felony was too recent. He passed in 2012 though. He was driving for SAIA LTL at the time but he had done alln types of driving throughout my life. Anyway sorry for getting off topic just letting everyone know I've always wanted to be a driver and now that I can I want to get started ASAP. I know I want my X endorsement eventually and I want to drive tankers (preferably not food grade). I need company sponsored training too as I dont have tuition money. And also I absolutely will not do team driving. I'll drive with the trainer for however long necessary but thats it. Schneider's tanker division looks very appealing so far. I also wouldn't mind starting out in reefer or dry-van if necessary to get started ASAP. Just looking for opinions on companies to apply with that meet my wants and needs mentioned above. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I would give it a try with Schneider. Your going to start somewhere. Never drove for them so can't help on that. Haz endorsement test here in Pa is not all that difficult. Think its basically the same everywhere. My oldest son pulls tanks and he says its a nice job. Refer is grocery warehouse delivery. If you like being up in middle of the night and dealing with rude people, (50%) at least are rude, then try refer. Did a lot of grocery warehouse in mid 90's , but it was dry van.

DJHunt317 Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The felony isn't a big deal; just can't go to Canada.
    C-1 Truck Driver Training in Indianapolis trains for Schneider and a few other companies. Contact that school and maybe Schneider will pay the tuition. Schneider Bulk, tanker division, hires new cdl grads also.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

As for reefer or dry van; plenty of choices for trucking company cdl school; no cash needed from you.
    Contract Freighters Inc. - www.cfidrive.com - has their own cdl school and provides meals and hotel room during the school. Can apply online from the website. Runs are coast to coast & border to border.
    Online Transport - Indianapolis. Not sure if they run West or not. We offer CDL Training with smaller class sizes for a more personalized environment. Every participant is paid, there are no tuition fees, and there is no experience necessary. Free housing is available with the option to go home on the weekends. We provide all the tools needed for you to become a safe, confident, and knowledgeable truck driver.

Stevens Transport - www.stevenstransport.com - reefers and tankers. Tankers work the oil fields.I think you start out in reefers and switch to tankers later; not sure. Reefers run coast to coast & border to border.
    Indianapolis CDL Training Location
    3542 East 500 North | Whiteland, IN 46184
    Don’t live in Central Indiana? No problem! We have an excellent housing option for Students coming in from anywhere in the Midwest! Our approved partner, Truck Driver Institute, starts a new training class every Monday. Classes are held Monday through Friday, and new drivers get a total of 140 hours of training time. After completing the program and obtaining your CDL, Stevens will pay for your transportation to our Headquarters in Dallas, Texas to attend orientation. All drivers are required to attend new hire orientation. Upon successful completion of orientation, you will become an employee of Stevens Transport and added to the professional driver payroll. Our goal is to help you have a long lasting financially successful career as an award-winning professional driver at Stevens Transport.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    DJHunt317 Thanks this.
  5. DJHunt317

DJHunt317 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I live right by online transport actually they have a big sign on the side of I-465. My dad went to C1 so that would be awesome and nostalgic for me. As far as dealing with rude people, I think I'll he just fine. I've been in our industry for the past 7 years (just not as a trucker). Ive driven forklifts, reach trucks, order pickers and done some shipping and recieving clerical duties as well as positions in inventory control and quality assurance, so ive dealt with rude people in person and on the phone. In alot of warehouses we thought the truckers were rude, but I know what the truckers have been through up until they arrived at the warehouse so I kept it cool with them and they usually lost their attitude and were cool back to me. Anyways, thanks for the info guys I'm hoping to be on the road (with a trainer) by February.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. DJHunt317

DJHunt317 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Does anyone have any opinions on Carter Express??

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  7. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    They've been around for awhile, I would give them a call. Their equipment is nice mostly Volvos that I've seen and I believe they haul a lot of auto parts. They run or used to run to Loredo quite a bit.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    DJHunt317 Thanks this.
  8. DJHunt317

DJHunt317 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Indianapolis
    They've called me and emailed me a full application. They sound like a solid company that offers training. And a good thing is they're right by my hometown so hometime should be good. I may even move my family to Anderson IN to be even closer to the terminal.

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  9. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Sounds good! Being close to their terminal you'll get better home time. I wouldn't be surprised if you occasionally get home in the middle of the week. Good luck!

DJHunt317 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.