Inflation recession ,bankruptcies

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Brucesmith, May 24, 2022.

1. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    The luddites were correct, they ended up in penury and destitution (those that survived the rebellion)

Its luddites, not ludites, thats a completely different thing, much further back in history and a world away geographically.

"The Luddites were a secret oath-based organisation[1] of English textile workers in the 19th century, a radical faction which destroyed textile machinery. The group are believed to have taken their name from Ned Ludd, a legendary weaver supposedly from Anstey, near Leicester. They protested against manufacturers who used machines in what they called "a fraudulent and deceitful manner" to get around standard labour practices.[2] Luddites feared that the time spent learning the skills of their craft would go to waste, as machines would replace their role in the industry.[3]

Many Luddites were owners of workshops that had closed because factories could sell the same products for less. But when workshop owners set out to find a job at a factory, it was very hard to find one because producing things in factories required fewer workers than producing those same things in a workshop. This left many people unemployed and angry.[4]

The Luddite movement began in Nottingham in England and culminated in a region-wide rebellion that lasted from 1811 to 1816.[5] Mill and factory owners took to shooting protesters and eventually the movement was suppressed with legal and military force, which included execution and penal transportation of accused and convicted Luddites.[6]"

Florescent-android92 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    My bad spelling. But in today's world a Luddite is one who opposes new technology. Look it up in the Oxford dictionary.

4. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    You have refused to address the problem i was pointing at, the original luddites were not so much against change generally as the rapidity of that change. It destroyed their ability to live and earn a living. Automation is happening many places, some places it should be more welcome than others, but given how ubiquitous it is, it is neither stupid or shortsighted to voice concerns that the pace or way things are implemented is not wise

5. Florescent-android92

Florescent-android92 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2021
    More profit = more taxes. Nothing stops the machine.

6. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Income tax dwarfs corporate tax receipts 5:1, 10:1 if you include social sec, medicaid etc.

And sales tax on everything too.

Profits are not heavily taxed, humans are

7. RussianBearTruckeR

RussianBearTruckeR Heavy Load Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mom's can't afford full gallons of milk from wmt they buy half or quarter sizes nationwide... says wmt ceo

8. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    If everyone loses their job to automation who buys the products and better yet why are useless eaters needed in society . That’s the direction we seem to be heading .

9. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    That's why we import so many consumers.
    They don't bring their hard consumables with them and they falsely stimulate the economy.

10. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I personally refuse to use the self check out in any store ..
    JMO but that should be a service provided ..that's not my job to check out what I purchase..
    Sadly the caliber of the cashiers the have working the check out lanes is subpar at best .. they can't make change correctly the have no problems scan items more than once while checking out.. and they can't even bag things very well
    So it's probably much more practical to self check out .. but I still refuse to do it it's not my job..

11. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    The self checkout is where all the freebies are.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.