Info On J&r Shugal

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by skullitor, Jul 24, 2006.

1. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    Can anyone give info on this company?Company driver info?
    Thanks, Skull :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fyremane

Fyremane Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Red Wing, MN
    A riend of mine Drives for them and she loves working for them, she says they are a great company. and once i get my liscence and some time in driveing, i plan on trying to get hired by them.

4. skullitor

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    They must be a decent outfit.As I see no horror stories posted here. :)

5. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    there should be a limit on how far an old thread can be brought back. this one is 5 months old.

6. skullitor

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    Hey Cerbus, I love your Skull avatar!

7. Aylalei

Aylalei Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Why should there be a limit, if the company still exists?
    What happened to my earlier post??
    I work for J&R Schugel.
    It's a family owned company that treats their drivers LIKE family!
    I get all the miles I want. I'm a company driver (this time working for them), and they get me home ON TIME. Home time is also really flexable!
    We don't unload cos this company prefers you don't!
    It's a great company to work for!
    :)

t bird Thanks this.
  8. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I was considering calling them. I like almost everything I hear but that flat "all incoming drivers" starting rate of $.35 is way low.It's good for someone with no experience but other than that it's low. Probably has something to do with there low safety rating. You won't attract good drivers with low wages and one week of vacation the second year.
    I do wonder what is meant by they pay for 3 meals and hotels though, and under what circumstances.
    I make .43 cpm now plus $25 perdiem and $25 for every drop. J&R make you give them the first and last drop before they pay anything. That's one too many in my book but I'm picky.
    they sopund like a good friendly company but I'v been doing this too long to work for the same $.35 they pay someone with 6mo experience. they won't improve there safety rating like that.
    And what's up with the o/o pay? $.88cpm!!!! I wouldn't haul for under $1per mile 10 years ago when fuel was $.85 per gallon. WHo can drive there own truck for that when fuel alone is costing $.40 to $.50cpm.

9. Dr Demented

Dr Demented Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Delphi, IN
    Yeah...they're pretty crazy. I think Aylalei recruits for them or something...always posting their talking points.

I'm not too impressed at all. I just went through their application process...I applied with 5 different companies who I thought would be worth my time. I have 4 years experience and I think .35 isn't really enough. I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

They treated me like I was being interviewed for a position guarding the President or something. I told them the truth about everything and then they told me today that they have "too few trucks and better qualified applicants" than me. Wouldn't tell me anything else...I asked for a copy of my DAC and a reason why they wouldn't hire me and they reffered me to the Recruiting Supervisor's voicemail...haven't heard back. I don't have any accidents on my record and no pointable tickets...insurance companies love me right now...so I can't seem to find the answer to how another driver is "more qualified" than I am who will accept 35 cents a mile...

After weeding out the junk...I've been accepted by Schilli Specialized in their Crane unit...I only start out at 37 cents, but I'll get as many miles as I want and be home every other weekend...plus their insurance is Arnett HMO, which usually only factory workers get and it's second to none in my opinion...best insurance I ever had when I was a factory worker years ago...

10. Aylalei

Aylalei Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2007
    :biggrin_25526: Nope, I don't recruit for them. LOL
    I'm a driver same as you are.
    I just happen to really LIKE this company.

11. Cynthia

Cynthia Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2007
    We just walked away from them before orientation was over. The hotel they put you up at has a continental breakfast and then they give you $10 for lunch and another $10 for dinner. They pay the hotel for orientation as well. That's what the 3 meals and hotel is about.

We walked away because things just weren't sitting right. The terminal manager that we had met prior to saying we would do orientation was transferred back to MN as their safety director. The new manager never came and introduced himself to the people going through orientation. The office person was on maternity leave and someone was filling in for her - she was doing the orientation and had no clue what was going on. The had my husband down as reefer and he was to be dry van - that took 2 days to straighten out. He was supposed to have his truck monday when we went down but they lost his drug test he had already taken so he had to take another one which meant there another day. By Tuesday afternoon still no truck or any sign of being dispatched. They did finally bring him his truck info when we were on the phone with the recruiter telling her we were walking away. The truck was in the shop and needed work so who knows when it would have been done. Insurance wound up being double what we were told.

There was a guy that got his truck on monday to be dispatched. He went to leave and it wouldn't start and needed a whole bunch of work. They wouldn't put him up in the hotel that night with the rest of the guys (he had just completed orientation) because he had been assigned a truck and was told to sleep in that. That would be fine except the truck wouldn't start and it was cold out so he couldn't start the truck to warm it up at all. That was just wrong. So the guy was given a broken truck out of orientation, sat for at least 2 days (we left so I don't know how much longer) and wasn't getting paid or allowed the hotel room.:biggrin_25510:

We were disappointed because we had really checked them out and thought we were making the right choice. We just kept getting signs when we were there that it wasn't for us and that was confirmed later when we talked to the guy that had been promoted and transferred back. We told him what had happened and he really didn't seem to care at all. The Columbus Ohio terminal is just a mess right now. :biggrin_25513:

roadhammer123 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.