injury on job last yr you think i can pass a physical

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by KD897, Apr 10, 2018.

1. KD897

KD897 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2018
    harrah ok
    hey guys, last year did a complete tear of my rotator cuff, and had a bone spur removed. i am restricted to 10 pounds but was released on friday by the doctor. last year before surgery was told if i didn't have surgery i would have a life time restriction of 40 pounds. well now it is less ( not sure if it is life time) but i do not have full range of motion. physical therapy stopped 5 months after surgery. was planning on getting cdl last fall but alas was not able to even wash my hair last fall. i would like to go and get the cdl but wondering if i can pass the dot physical does anyone have an idea what weight i have to lift to pass the physical? so at least i can work on getting up to that point, right now i doubt i have anything i can do to earn money with a 10 pound weight restriction

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Txdriver77

Txdriver77 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Texas
    no lifting weight in dot physical. depending on company, there might be a pre employment physical to check range of motion and strength.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some outfit will hire you if you can pass a simple DOT physical.
    Which side did you injure; right or left?
    Maybe drive a cargo van so you don't have to unhook/hook trailers. Plenty of those jobs around; some require a cdl and some don't.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    There's also courier services that deliver envelopes and small packages & they drive similar vans.
    @KD897
    Did some Google searches for courier/expedite jobs in your area and there's quite a few in Oklahoma City and the surrounding areas.
    The state of Oklahoma will pay for cdl school through their WIOA Program, and you probably qualify since you were injured. They may want you to get a couple of pre-hire letters/offers on jobs, and that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Delivery Driver
    Hungry Hog, LLC dba Picklemans - Norman, OK
    Apply Now
    Looking for a flexible schedule, fun atmosphere, extra cash and potential growth opportunities? Look no further! We are looking for passionate, hardworking individuals with great customer service skills to join the Pickleman’s team. Drivers can make up to $15 - $20+ hourly, but you’ve got to hustle for it!

Delivery Drivers’ primary responsibility is to deliver fresh meals to customers in the store’s designated delivery area. Drivers are expected to check all products for accuracy and quality before leaving the store and deliver products to customers in a safe, courteous and timely manner. To make sure we are hiring the safest and best, our Delivery Drivers are not allowed to have any major traffic violations or more than 2 minor violations in the last 3 years.

6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    That type of surgery should have close to full function recovery. There may be some pain, but professional athletes return after rotator cuff surgery. Depending which state you're in, you can choose your own doctor. Your pt should not have stopped until you had recovered. If it is a botched surgery, you might have to do it again.

I am a former wc adjuster.

7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    @KD897
    Can I also suggest a weight training regime. When I was a cop, my sergeant was a 50 year old woman who had a rotator cuff tear. After she did rehab, she still had pain. So, I started training her once a week to do dumbbell military press, front raises, side raises, shrugs, sometimes upright rows too. We also concentrated on upper back movements once a week (lat pulldowns, bent over rows, v rows, etc)

When it was all said and done, that 50 year old woman who had never lifted could military press the 45 lb dumbells, and bench the 50s. She was stronger than some men I worked with. Most importantly, her shoulder quit hurting.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I would be worried not so much about lifting. There is very little of that unless in specific segment like LTL and flat bedding. I would be much more worried about raising and lowering the landing gear.
    My advice is to take Chinatown's advice to look at courier and expedite vans until you know what you will be able to do.

Get as well as you can, then get a job as a driver if the injury will allow.

9. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Yup. Landing gear can be a ###### at times. So, can closing a set of sprung or warped doors on the back of a refer or dry van. Sliding tandems ranks right up there too.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.