installed trans but looks to be wrong transmission.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Collie, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Collie

Collie Guest

Just finished hooking up everything and go to install my shifter and the tower is too far forward. No i didnt think it looked out of the ordinary when installing. NEver took notice.
    So anyway, my local peterbilt dealer ordered my trans but somehow screwed up. The trans is a rtloF 18918b
    Note the "F". I dont know how they screwed up, he did tell me my truck is an "f"
    My truck is 379 short hood.
    I believe my original trans they took as a core was just a regualr rtlo.
    So now what? Do i have to drop this trans again to get a whole nudder trans?
    Boy what a waste of a day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I'm sure someone that knows more about it will chime in soon but as far as I know those Transmissions are all the same size, and especially your shifter should be in the same spot. I think even if you went from a 9-speed or 10 speed to a 13 speed or 18 the shifter still is in the same spot, but the transmission itself is longer.

Is that the same shifter from your old transmission or did they give you another shifter? Is there any possibility that you are putting the shifter in upside down?

I don't know about the F designation, but if they really gave you the wrong transmission you should give them an
    F U!

Rideandrepair and Collie Thank this.
  4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    The F is for forward shift bar housing is the only difference.

Bad thing is in most cases it's easier to drop the trans back out to change it.

I have seen instances where Eaton sends whatever they have in stock to satisfy the order. Sucks I know.

5. Collie

Collie Guest

those ########. dang it
    heads are gonna roll

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Collie

Collie Guest

same shift tower and shifter bro.
    I have a curved shifteras well and even with the curve, it wont go past neutral. its on the dash

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Collie

Collie Guest

What model peterbilts came with a "f"model trans? Preferably in the late 90's to mid 2000's

8. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Did you try lever backwards?

Collie Thanks this.
  9. Collie

Collie Guest

goodysnap, do you know someone on here to look up my transmission with my vin?
    I would like to see if there is a f in there. Last 6 are

10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I'm really sorry to hear that buddy.

You would think the dealer of all places would get you the right transmission.

If it were me, I would try to figure something else that I need and try to get out of them whatever I could for the wasted time and everything else. Maybe they will give you a discount on the transmission and whatever Parts you bought.

Good luck man. Let us know what happens.

11. Collie

Collie Guest

my shifter? you cant do it that way because you wont be able to get it on at all. the curve is at bottom

speedyk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.