Instructor teaching wrong

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Ironwindow, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Ironwindow

Ironwindow Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Winston Salem, NC
    Sitting in class and the instructor is going over air brakes. I know a thing or two about air brakes, I'm Ase certified in school bus, transit bus, and heavy truck brakes, I'm also a licensed federal air brake inspector.

The instructor keeps giving out a lot of incorrect information and it's driving me nuts. I want to say something about it but I don't want to be the "know it all".

I understand his job is just to make someone understand the air brake system well enough to inspect the system but at the same time I feel that if he's going to teach it, teach it correctly.

Do I politely correct him or leave it be?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GoBlueTeam

GoBlueTeam Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Pull the instructor and school official aside. Show credentials and explain what you saw...safety first not bad info.

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. gummy bear

gummy bear Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2008
    kentucky
    This right here. Any good instructor will take the correct info and pass it along.

The two things that make an instructor good are always learning (being a student for life) and always remembering what it's like to be the student.

tscottme and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  5. mindes

mindes Medium Load Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Crestview, Fl
    If they say buzz off, call a Dot buddy for an inspection.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Wait until class is over. Find the school official, show him your credentials. Once you are accepted as such, Particularly the federal air brake etc. You and school official corral the instructor quietly in a office away from the students and fix this problem.

If the school refuses to do anything? Whistle the dogs to go through the place before the rest of the students get damaged from this bad material.

I have never stopped learning this and that and frankly any chance for correction or possibly fixing a flawed instruction in something pretty important as airbraking has to be good.

Whatever happens, keep your mouth shut in class. If the school is any good they will sort it out quietly. If they are not? Well there is a chance it will be a unholy mess before long.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Like others say, wait until you are outside of class. But make 100% sure you are right. You could have been taught wrong to begin with and the instructor is actually the correct one...

What is he claiming you think is wrong?

wore out and gentleroger Thank this.
  8. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    If it's his job is to teach people how to tell time, be careful pointing out that he isn't correctly explaining how to build a watch. That could come back to haunt you.

9. Ironwindow

Mar 1, 2019
    Winston Salem, NC
    He's stated that straight trucks and buses only have one air tank and combo vehicles have 2.

He then said your primary tank is for your tractor and your secondary tank is for your trailer.

He then said that trucks have an emergency air tank on them that is used by mechanics to back the spring brakes off in case of loss of air pressure. I really wish that was true because I hate caging brakes.

There's a few other instances but none of those are actually important to the safety of a driver. They involved how things like relay valves, slack adjusters, and s cams work.

ZVar and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I keep a box of bolts big enough to back off brakes on the old trucks in my time. Please tell me that there is no mythical emergency air tank designed solely for backing off stuck brakes. Yes there is a wet side and a dry side plus a tractor protection valve and air dryer. Then the trailer has one for releasing brakes under the red glad hand line and a service line (Blue) for braking while driving.

In short I think I agree with you that the instructor is incorrect in stating there is a extra tank somehow able to released locked spring brakes. Ive always done that with maxi bolts out of the box by hand when necessary.

11. Ironwindow

Mar 1, 2019
    Winston Salem, NC
    I've turned wrenches on them for the last 5 years and never found that magical tank.

The big thing I have an issue with is him saying only 1 tank on straight trucks and buses. Law mandates a minimum of 2 tanks, primary and secondary, on all air brake vehicles. Doesn't matter whether it's a bus, tractor, or trailer. Your trailer has its own air tanks, your tractor usually has a minimum of 3 (supply, primary, secondary) and your straight trucks and buses usually have a minumum of 3 too. All are required to have at least 2. Sometimes 1 tank is divided into 2 tanks (so it's physically one tank but it's still 2).

If I ever find that magical emergency tank, I'll let you know.

brian991219, Bean Jr. and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.