Insurance question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by liljim, Feb 20, 2020.

1. liljim

liljim Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2018
    What happens if you on a truck and the driver is involved in an accident but the driver is not on your insurance policy??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. liljim

liljim Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2018
    I meant own

4. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Learn to say uninsured when paying it out of pocket.

flood, Doealex and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  5. calnca

calnca Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Bella Vista, AR
    Depends on the insurance carrier. Unless policy is a named operator policy, outright denial is rare. As an insurance carrier, do we WANT to know about all drivers......of course.

Might we cancel, or non-renew if an insured has more than one occurrence of a non-listed driver being involved in an accident, ABSOLUTELY.

The reason most carriers (unless it's a named operator policy) won't deny a claim with a un-scheduled driver is that they then open themselves up to questions of un-fair claims practices, which can increase payouts by 3-5 times, depending upon the jurisdiction.

Ask an insurance professional these type of questions.....don't depend on the truck stop "attorneys" who don't really have a clue.

Ruddybee and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I would like some form of protection in the Company insurance in some way. Having no specific coverage really leaves both the Company and me exposed in court if there was no insurance.

7. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    When you alerted your insurance company of the accident, did you tell them who the driver was or did you withhold that information?

Doealex and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. calnca

calnca Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Bella Vista, AR
    Interestingly, in the majority of jurisdictions (Thanks to a CA Supreme Court Ruling) you, as an employee, are entitled to "your own defense".

So while the Limit of Liability is available to pay the claim....up to the policy limits, defense is a different issue, with no limit on how much a carrier can spend.

The CA ruling allows you as an employee to "your own defense".....so the carrier has to pay for a separate attorney to represent your individual interests if you are enjoined in any suit activity.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive had attys paid for by Pappy and others in the company situation of accidents before. One in Baltimore that specializes in industry, shipping in particular and transport accidents was really, really good. Long story which has been told a few times in my posts years ago reduced the bad guy to a drug seeking addict and had his case throwin out with peals of hysterial laugher. His own lawyer knew he was sunk at that point.

I did learn to really hate court related cases. Ive got a big mouth and if I did not have a lawyer I would have been ... raped verbally in there.

baha Thanks this.
  10. Shawn19

Shawn19 Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2019
    baha and Chubby Fly Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.