Insurance Rates

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BigNorm4Life, Oct 24, 2021.

1. BigNorm4Life

BigNorm4Life Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Hey guys.... I haven't posted in a few years

I've was gonna get my Class A License and hit the road back in '17 but I managed getting a great job with my Class B CDL hauling hazardous waste making $20+/hr.

Now almost 5 years and 300,000 miles later driving in New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia (no accidents... 1 cell phone violation) wages have stagnated and after letting my boss know my number to stay with the company (don't expect to get it)

Planning to transition to get my Class A to haul Bulk/Hazmat Tanker with the Intent on becoming an Owner Operator in a few years. Playing around with Insurance quotes and entering a VIN for a 2016 day cab glider... I was quoted $8,xxx a year by Progressive (That can't be right)

My question is... does my Clean Class B CDL record plays a factor in insurance rates when I'll eventually transition to a Class A CDL and when I eventually become a O/O... I thought the going rate for Insurance the first couple years for a O/O was in the $25,xxx to $35,xxx range

Next year I plan to buy my dream truck.. a daycab Freightliner Coronado Glider with a 60 series DD and just have it sit and fix it up and have it road ready in a year or two... I have a fear of these trucks being impossible to find especially for a good price which is why I'm buying next year versus just saving up and buying when I'm ready

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    First of all if a trucks sitting and not moving you will be fixing a lot more than routing things. Specially for 2 years.

second, the quote seams kinda low for a new venture, they look at company info and it changes when you talk to a rep vs what’s online. I’m not even sure you put the right amounts but progressive on new startups is around 20-30k on the first year.

4. BigNorm4Life

BigNorm4Life Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2017
    I thought so... about the insurance

As far as the Truck goes.... the Truck won't be rotting in the climates. it would be in a heated and cooled Garage at a friends business... it would cost be $50 a month. I figure it would drive it regularly either way to keep the cobwebs away

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The truck sitting is what the problem is.

if the truck has low miles it should be on a dyno and see what the hp actually is.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.