Insurance says my truck is not totaled

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by aranda89, Jun 28, 2017.

1. aranda89

aranda89 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2017
    My truck was hit by a drunk driver that swerved onto my lane. Both cars had to be towed away. My Truck has suspension and light frame damage, it won't turn on.
    The drunk driver had no insurance, luckily I have uninsured underinsured. My truck is evaluated at $140,000, but the insurance does not want to total the truck and pay the $140,000 they would rather pay me $55,000 and have me repair it myself.

I don't want this truck repaired because I think the damage can bring future unforseen problems and also be a hazard to operate in the future.

Do I have to accept what the insurance says or do I have the right to demand it be totaled? I Am in Texas by the way.
    [​IMG]

OLDSKOOLERnWV, Lepton1 and tucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. calnca

calnca Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Bella Vista, AR
    A carrier considers a unit a "constructive total loss" when cost of repair exceeds 50-60% of the insured value......so if unit is worth $ 140,000 and damages are estimated at $ 55,000 then it's not a constructive total loss. Typically when a carrier advises what they calculate the loss at they will give you a list of approved shops that will repair based on that estimate.....and the shop will deal with the carrier when they find hidden damages not contemplated in in the initial estimate.

bigguns, mp4694330 and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    yeah, try to avoid taking the settlement check, because when you do in the fine print will be a paragraph stating case closed when you cash the check. You need to leave open any unseen damage when it was estimated.

Lepton1 and Big Don Thank this.
  5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I'd start by going up the ladder at the insurance company. Go as far as you have to, to get a reasonable settlement. I know nothing about Texas insurance law, but I'm betting there is some kind of a state agency that deals with insurance. Contact them.
    Then, if all else fails, talk to a lawyer.

Do you have any estimates from anyone other than the insurance as to what repair will cost? If you don't, get some. Their estimates will give you a half way good idea of where you stand.
    After going through all this, ask yourself if you are being reasonable. I certainly see your point of view, but crashed trucks are put back together all the time, and then run hundreds of thousands of miles.

Usually what I've seen, is folks who want their vehicle repaired, but the insurance says "totaled."

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Get a lawyer

RedForeman Thanks this.
  7. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    If that truck is paid off, couldn't he just cash the check and put it down on another truck? Or does that money have to be used to repair it?

8. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    This is a significant claim and you should seriously consider the Old Man's advice.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    He should have one anyways because of the accident and possible litigation over it - he is the truck owner and driver (I assume) and he is at fault because the truck exists in the first place.

Eldiablo and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. calnca

calnca Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Bella Vista, AR
    Armchair professionals........80-90% of all our phys dam claims are settled without the need for a lawyer skimming from the top.....they don't come cheap.

IF your retail insurance guy/gal is a PROFESSIONAL, he/she should be involved in your claim, and able to explain what's going on and guide and help you to a fair resolution. Make them earn their commission.

IF, because you bought cheap insurance from Shifting Sands Mutual Insurance Company from "Bubba" up the street, you get what you pay for.

You all as a group tend to ##### about insurance costs, yet the first thing out of the armchair quarterbacks is get a lawyer, which in phys dam claims does nothing more than run up the overall loss costs, which ultimately means higher insurance costs.....as we as a carrier eventually charge higher rates because of the higher loss costs.

11. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    I'm an operations director. Office chair professional would be more accurate. Thanks for your input.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.