Insurance, Weight,Legal Entity,.......Saving [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by stanton, Nov 5, 2020.

1. stanton

stanton Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2020
    About me:

• Newish to the industry.
    • 34 y/o male resident in VA with no CDL. Consider getting it.
    • Starting a dealership and inadvertently got into car hauling.
    • Have two drivers, 26, 3 to 4 years with no moving violations, plus 5, great records that want to haul cars.

A few questions as I consider undertaking such a venture.

1. How to best approach INSURANCE, DOT/MC numbers, LEGAL ENTITY in terms of location:
    For the best insurance rates. Mississippi hit my radar. When filling out DOT and MC applications, what is needed to show that I have a place of business in the state besides an office location? In other words, what parts of the application will the insurace rep use to establish where I hold my trucks?

The insurance application is attached that i found on the net. Apparently there is an inspection of where the trucks are going to be held. Does anyone have a property or an ideal location in MS that I could rent in order to establish business locations there? with fences or security cameras.​

2.Truck Model:

• Is there a truck that can haul 12 cars?
    • I have found a cab over but my drivers feel they are too dangerous.
    • Between the following Stingers with overhead mounts:
    1. Early 90's Volvo WAH64 with T60 Detroit
    2. Early 2000's Sterling Rockweil with Cab, cummins motor. (700,000 miles)
    which would you choose? Why?
    My reasoning:

• Volvo with Detroit because durability, parts, longevity, mpg, no emissions.
    • holds more cars bc no cab. both have stinger trailers. EZ loader or High rail.
    • Cummins has 700,000 miles on it. Volve runs okay with no blow by. Not sure how many miles though.

Anything I can look at, such as oil, the get a feel for how the motor is functioning? Upon checking the oil, is it something it can tell me beyond it needing to be changed or not? (Recently found an answer to this. I can take an oil sample and send it in)​
    3. Limits for car haulers:

I have noticed older car haulers hold more. For instance this has a 9 car trialer and a 3 car overhead.

2000 STERLING LT9500 FOR SALE #62725

Has anyone fit a 2000 Freightliner dual axle Semi onto a car hauler trailer (Cottrell high beam or EZ loader) both the trailer and the freightliner are 102 inches wide. Is this possible with taking the outside wheels off and backing it on with the trailer wedge all the way down?​

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stanton

stanton Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2020
    My intent was not to make a bad impression. Learned a ton from this board.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Patience, patience.
    You asked a lot of questions. Give the members some time and they'll answer them. A lot of the car haulers are busy at work. When the weekend rolls around they'll be more apt to give you the information you need.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.