Insuring a new driver???

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NCoal, Nov 22, 2017.

1. NCoal

NCoal Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. Is it feesable or even possible to insure a driver who recently abtained his CDL or one with no varifiable experience? Only million dollar liability and cargo no collision. He has a great work ethic and will be a good "investment" for my business. I'm confident I can train someone to be a responsible operator just curious if insurance will be an issue. Any input is appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldRed98

OldRed98 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    I only know from getting insurance for my new DOT (and I'm a new CDL as of 2017).

Progressive was the only company I could find that would insure me. I think my rate for 1 million in general liability and 100k cargo was like 13K per yer (no collision).

I have a construction business and transport my own heavy equipment so I ended up getting a lower liability policy with no cargo insurance... I want to get my own authority next year and hope insurance will go down after having a year of no issues under my belt.

NCoal Thanks this.
  4. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Most require a minimum of 2 years experience. If you are a new entrant It will be really hard or ridiculously expensive.

NCoal Thanks this.
  5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    ^^^ but not impossible, check around

NCoal Thanks this.
  6. NCoal

NCoal Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Good deal, I have 6 years on mine but I'm looking at adding on my bother in-law with no time on his license. Oldred98 thats good to know I'm straight on with progressive just haven't had a chance to call with the holidays and all.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.