Int DT466e heavy smoke at start up and dies

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by devedo, Nov 7, 2019.

1. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Got an 2005 int 4300 with a DT466e with heavy fueling smoke only startup and long crank time. Runs good till warmed up then randomly dies.

Currently have exhaust manifold off and it's coming out of all cylinders. Coolant is also drained. ICP pressure is within spec and matching. Fuel pressure is above 35psi during cranking test. Replaced oil pressure manifold seals cause a couple injectors had a bit of leakage with no change to smoking issue. Rocker cover is still off.

IDM voltage and ground is good. Usual harness power and ground problematic connectors have been checked.
    Swapped cam sensor with test sensor and still no change. Currently seeing if a test idm and crank sensor is available.

No faults active. Inactive faults in system are dtc 554, 143, & 147. Haven't had those come active and no time stamps to know when they occurred.

First time I've came across this and wondering if anyones got experience with the same issue.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Forgot to note that it doesn't smoke until icp pressure reaches icp desired pressure right before it fires up. Almost like the initial combustion for each cylinder is over-fueled.

Best way I can explain the timing of when it smokes. Pretty much looks like the trucks burning down. Fills the cab cause the doghouse is off and overtop the truck.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    tank4life Thanks this.
  4. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Swapped idms, crank sensor, and all six injectors with no fix since last post. Officially stumped on this one.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Retry with the piping off the intake manifold to rule out a plugged air to air or filter. Also, inspect where the intake heater grid heater is. It is rare, but they can become so plugged they will choke off the engine.

devedo Thanks this.
  6. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    The air filter housing was already off, but after I got your comment I did take the entire air intake pipe with the egr valve on it off that heads into the air intake and tried it again. Grid heater was clear and no change to the issue.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sorry, been away. All those codes are for incorrect crank sensor signature, or basically a dirty crank signal. You might have to really check the crank sensor wires to make sure they are in good condition all the way to the ecm. I have seen the cam sensor cause issues like this too, but it usually starts to act up when warm. Another thing is sometimes the alternator starts to output some ac voltage because the rectifier bridge has failed and this will cause funny things to happen. Try disconnecting it and see.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.