International 4700 T444E hiccup while running, occasional failure to start

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 4LFarmer, Apr 27, 2017.

1. 4LFarmer

4LFarmer Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2017
    So I've recently begun having this issue with the 4700 regularly. It will start fine but randomly hiccup like there is a momentary loss of juice. Glow plug relay light will always come on if it hiccups while running. Occasionally will stall. If it does and glow plug light does not come on, it will not restart. Messing with wiring harnesses under the hood will usually allow the glow plug light to come on with the key switch, but not always.

I have checked for ground problems and all fuses check out with a multimeter. Plugged it in and got no engine codes.

I have a cam position sensor I picked up this morning as a just in case, but it doesn't really seem like that's the issue this time. The gray Ford ones were the only option I had.

I'm thinking bad wire or connector somewhere. Where would you start?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sounds like a wire issue for sure. Run the engine and wiggle as much of the wiring harnesses as you can to try an cause it to happen.

4. benjamin260_6

benjamin260_6 Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Pull your fuel filter out and there should be a coil of some sort that heats the fuel. If it grounds out it'll cause the problems you're describing.

5. 4LFarmer

4LFarmer Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2017
    A new camshaft position sensor was not the answer so I started digging again. I replaced the module power supply relay today (second relay from right under the center of the bulkhead under the hood) and the problem seems to have resolved itself. I had tested this relay earlier and it was working, but it must be weak enough to misfire from time to time.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Fingers crossed!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.