Internet/WiFi

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DevJohnson, Jul 22, 2018.

1. DevJohnson

DevJohnson Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Was wondering what WiFi or hotspot set up y’all have? I know a lot of people go through Verizon’s hotspot but to those who play videos games and steam off their TV of laptop.. what set up do you have? And how long does it last ya. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    You can just tether your phone to your laptop and save the $$ on the hotspot. Once I load a game on steam like Fallout or Skyrim I am good to go. For PvP it depends how close you are to a tower when parked. You need that low ping to make them game changing plays.

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I don't do video games but I do a fair bit of YouTube and some Netflix. Verizon works great and is worth the money. I am on the 22 gig and pay about $90. Never go over. I do change YouTube to 144p for music or 240/360p for video quality. I use Netflix download a fair bit, from home or other good Wi-Fi sources. I also pay for fj wifi.

5. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I play offline, singleplayer games. If I can find an open Wifi hotspot, I'll take advantage, but only to apply updates or sync saves with the cloud.

Sirscrapntruckalot and Woodys Thank this.
  6. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Pdanet is a good tethering app for android and apple. Easy to setup. It hides the laptop usage and fools the carrier into seeing the data used by the phone and not the laptop so it doesnt dip into the metered hotspot data. I get away with about 30 gigs a month max speed until tmobile starts throttling the data. Also I get 10 gb hotspot in addition. All for a flat 60 bucks. Spotty is spotty but so is Verizon for 4g lte anyway.

7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I hate apple. Went android and will never go back. I use Verizon and have an unlimited data plan. A man on the interweb as much as me cant settle for less.

8. Driverdad

Driverdad Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2015
    I have Verizon hotspot to a desktop . As the other driver said it depends on the latency but most of the time I'm good . Usually I get a good ping but there are times were I am somewhere where Pvp or high latency is a no go

I had Pilot Flying J enhanced wifi internet for 2 years . It's the best of all of them . The bandwith is good but the latency is trash and as soon as the new Net Neutrality rules went in to affect all of a sudden lots of sites and IPs don't work . No one at PFJ could explain it to me so I let that service go . But it is good for streaming only not gaming .

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  9. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I tried Pilot FlyingJ since the first of the year. Forget it. Their support had no problem at all giving me a refund.
    I won't do Verizon. I deal with companies who have integrity. Not companies who demand payment for something they refuse to provide(an actual working phone). Then take action to the fullest extent of the law to slander your credit report.

Redtruckerusa and laaylor Thank this.
  10. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    I have sprint so I don't worry about it. My other phone is metro pcs. That's also unlimited data, so do not worry about that either.

laaylor Thanks this.
  11. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    This exactly what I do. Playing games online is just too frustrating without having a dedicated line. I stick to playing single player games and buying movies and tv series on blu-ray. I dont have much free time anyway, and when I do have it I prefer to spend it outside the truck. But sometimes on a 34 in Nowhereville, Egypt with minimal cell service and no entertainment for miles, those blu-rays and video games do wonders.

Zeviander Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.