Inverter always shuts down with high voltage alarm with APU Running.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by wc5b, Dec 10, 2013.

1. wc5b

wc5b Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Flint, MI
    I had the shop install a Power Drive 1000 Inverter in my sleeper to power my gaming laptop and such. Whenever my APU (Most of the time anyways) motor is running, it goes over 15V apparently and it trips the inverter protection. It alarms a tone and stops sending output and eventually powers down completely. Is there a way to step down the input voltage 1-3 volts so I can actually use this thing? I don't need it driving down the road, I need it in my sleeper in which I almost always have the APU running. That is the whole point. Odd thing is, they ram down our throats that these new trucks are "low voltage" trucks lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tirednaz

tirednaz Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Arizona
    15 volts sounds like alternator problem or voltage regulator. If you have a tester see whats coming out of the alternator.

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  4. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    I don't think they're low voltage anymore, not like they used to be where 13.4 was the norm. They all seem to be running higher, mine runs 14.1 steady and if I'm not mistaken can run up to 14.8.

5. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    There are a couple of ways to handle what you're asking. There are automatic voltage stabilizers for aviation but even a cheap one isn't really cheap. A rheostat would allow you to do it manually but for safety you'd need one with at least an 80 amp capacity to match the max loading of your inverter. Rheostats of that capacity tend to be sold bare, ie: without a housing, because they're normally installed on an equipment cabinet. I know a way to do it automatically with a simple transistor circuit but unless you have the skillset it's sorta pointless to explain.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Your voltage shouldn't be spiking to 15 volts. You either have Alternator/voltage regulator problems which I doubt because you would of had it prior.

What I think is you have a poor ground which will cause a voltage surge. Double check the main ground at each end and that they have good connections. Most inverters have a second chassis ground which is a smaller wire that goes from the outside chassis of the inverter to a truck chassis ground like the cab of the truck (not to the battery).

The main cables from inverter to battery should be less than 6 feet, preferably under 4 feet.

7. p34ch3s

p34ch3s Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2012
    Check ur ground like condo cruiser said but mainly check that ur wires are clean. I was having that same issue, and after I went thru two inverters cuz the guys in the shop said it was a bad inverter, they cleaned the connections and I didnt have a problem after that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.