IRP Question

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by bonder45, Dec 6, 2019.

  1. bonder45

    bonder45 Medium Load Member

    Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    I've been reading all morning about this and I can't seem to find the right answer I am looking for.

    I will be operating for the most part just in North Dakota, will I be required to register for the IRP?

    From what I've read I will not and if I wanted to venture to other states I could just get permits.
  2. wis bang

    wis bang Road Train Member

    Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    The IRP changed to all participating states so you get them all...your actual miles will determine next year's split. those couple trips to South Dakota will apportion a small amount of your North Dakota registration cost at no added up front costs so no need buy permits or, mid year run to Motor Vehicle to add that one state you keep buying permits for...

    now if you don;t ever leave the state you don't need it...
  3. PE_Trans

    PE_Trans Road Train Member

    If I were you, I’d get IFTA. If after a year you find out you only operated in ND, then take it off. In this business, flexibility means money. Don’t lock yourself up in one state. There’s a whole nother world out there. No, really. There is. Hahaha.

    Back in the days before IFTA, you would get permits in the states you planned to drive through. Today, interstate motor carriers deal directly with IFTA for fuel taxes. If you plan to travel in OR, NM, KY, and NY, you’ll need additional permits to pay for the weight-distance tax in their states.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted