Is 1500-1800 mi/wk acceptable?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by greaterbaatezu, Jan 20, 2010.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I run local/regional and do 1,200 to 1,300 a week, but right now we are incredibly slow. I'm paid hourly/percentage, in normal years, I can do 10,000 miles a month and be home nightly and weekends.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zentrucking

zentrucking Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Atlanta
    Drivers as a whole need to stop thinking about how many "miles" are acceptable ... who cares?

How much "pay" is acceptable?

How much time, effort and energy are you expending? and how much are you taking home?

Forget about miles, especially with all the greenhorns on here now "boasting" about 3000+ miles - and taking home only $300-$400.

It's just industry brainwashing - don't buy into it ...

4. james3505

james3505 Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2010
    ozark,ar

take x amount of miles driven in one year devide by x amount of weeks in a year and you get a average miles for each week in the year regardless of how many days you were home or on the road........

i hope this makes sense

5. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    LOL. I was going to go to work for a company which was offering me 4 CPM less than my previous job. "but don't worry," they said, "you'll be getting plenty of miles!" in other words, "don't worry, you'll work harder for less money." not sure what happened to that company. they're not around any more.

6. Markk9

Markk9 "On your mark"

Nov 26, 2006
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Depends on how you are paid. I have a hard time making 2K miles a week, but I'm paid by the hour.

Mark

7. Crisco_Britches

Crisco_Britches Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2010

If you consider the economy and frieght volume being down for over a year, 1500-1800 a week average is about average. You can't expect high miles all the time in all economic conditions. Driver mileage is more connected to consumer purchasing than anything else. Unless your FM is a total moron.

8. Crisco_Britches

Crisco_Britches Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Striker, you hit the nail on the head. When things are very slow, you can't expect lots of miles every week. Boon days have been gone for a long while and looks like at least another year before things really look like they will turn positive. Anyone that has a job should be happy they have a job right now and hold tight until it gets better.

9. tmellen58

tmellen58 Bobtail Member

May 5, 2007
    Southeast,KS
    This is the slow time of year (after x-mas) It will pick up around march -april. Not too encouraging I know but alot of drivers for quite a few companies are getting under 2000 miles. The longer you stay with Marten the more miles you get if your performance is good! Don't quit them pre-maturely, cuz you wont get rehired after you job hop and find out it's the same with miles at other companies. Marten "is" agood co. to work for. Dont burn your bridges!!

10. Farrell 67

Farrell 67 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Wilkes Barre Pa.
    I drove for Marten for about a year and a half.When I got the call from them about a year after I submitted my application,I was thrilled.I thought,right on, these guys are good.Things will be ok.

Well, that only lasted a few months.At first it was decent trips, nice runs,good, trouble free equipment.Then,little by little,the day here ,day there, unpaid layovers started.It evolved into run a 500 mile trip,sit a day or so,then at 5 pm get hit with a 500 mile overnighter only to sit for another day. It got old with the quickeness.

Before I could say,''payment plan'' my bills started to pile up and nobody in Mondovi seemed to give a rats behind.

I don't know about you guys, but, in my ten years of driving,I'm starting to get sick and tired of walking past the company owners Harley's and Safari relics on my way to speak to a surly dispatcher.I want a Harley too. That ain't happening on the 1,700 miles a week that became ''my life as a Marten driver."

These guys (marten) went ''dirtbag/bottom feeder" about 3 years ago.Now I read about the per diem mandate,and shabby treatment. They were good once, those days are over.Now they are Swift with reefers.Don't even waste your time at Marten.

I know there are company men here who will,chant ''It's my fault." ....Wrong answer.I've been driving hitting on 11 years.I'm not a newbie and never been a flake.I run what I brung and I'M NEVER LATE,unless weather conditions force road closures.

I finally called it a wrap with OTR and took a yard jockey job.As JFK said ,when asked about his thoughts on being President,''the pay's good and I can walk to work." I'll post some of my youtube yard jockey links when my post count allows it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  11. Wiseguywireless

Wiseguywireless Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    You all scare me! I ave. Over 3000 Miles per Week last year, and No Per Diam Crap. I take it out of my Taxes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.