is biofuel worth the fuel discount?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by heavyhaulerss, Apr 14, 2014.

1. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    last week when I noticed my truck low on h.p. dropping a gear on hills that I usually do not have to, when I got unloaded & looked at my davco it was 3/4 full, but 170 miles before it was so low you could not even see the fuel yet. I talked at that day to another driver on our dedicated run about the $400 min saving a month using the discount card & he said he cannot use bio cause it make his truck sluggish, 06 detroit with a 515. but anyway it's not a big deal. I just have to make sure I am not on a 2 lane rd at night with no shoulder needing to change out filter.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    So what's the real story on the small amounts of moisture in biofuel freezing and causing damage to fuel system components, such as unit injectors high pressure pumps etc.

4. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Shouldn't even be an issue if your fuel/water separator is doing its job.

5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I hear more of it on the equipment side of things. Mostly tier III and IV. We done several common rail systems this winter that moisture freezing in the small passages was blamed for several thousand dollars worth of repair. I have used the same diesel shop for many years and believe in them. But may be misinformed about biofuel to a certain degree.

6. biofumes

biofumes Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2009
    California

If you have the newer trucks with the extreme high pressure rail system (29,000 psi) your restricted to B5 or B20, all depending on your engine manufacturer.

wore out Thanks this.
  7. biofumes

Feb 13, 2009
    California

Biodiesel contains 8% less energy per gallon than typical No. 2 diesel in the United States and 12.5% less energy
    per pound. The difference between these two measurements is due to the higher density of biodiesel compared
    with diesel fuel. All biodiesel, regardless of its feedstock, provides about the same amount of energy per gallon or
    per pound.

This is why your engine runs cooler, since its producing less energy, but when fully loaded and uphill you will notice the 12.5%

wore out Thanks this.
  8. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    sheesh

all this time i thought the spinach juice was winterizing for the fuel

9. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    Now ya tell me!:biggrin_25511:

10. biofumes

Feb 13, 2009
    California

I'm strictly talking about B100(just biodiesel) here, if your running B20 or less, you shouldn't really notice anything, other than great diesel additive.

Around here you can save about $1 a gallon with B100, ran it for months no issues. Also, few months back there was a 1K credit for using biodiesel, saved a few bucks.

The cetane rating does help with winterizing(B20).

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  11. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    I wasn't aware there were trucks that could run on b100. Where is here for you?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.