is CDL B the sought out license in the oil and gas industry?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by thealfa, Oct 17, 2017.

1. thealfa

thealfa Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    I'm curious what endorsements are sought out as well.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Depends on what you want to do. I'd say class A with Hazmat, tank, twic and the appropriate safety training.

4. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
  5. CleverNDGuy

CleverNDGuy Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Bakken Basin
    In Virginia and Pennsylvania Cdl B can aquire you a job hauling water and specifically badger daylighting runs super Suckers which is a class b truck.
    Badger starts you out 20hr but it's manual labor not all driving and they have various locations they work from and travel too. Water is like 16.00 hr on the low side without experience. I worked along side badger in ND and saw ads for water while I was running a route from wheeling. That's all I got on that.

6. Mad Frenchman

Mad Frenchman Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Texas
    With a class B, you can run fresh water, septic, refueling, chemicals.
    BUT
    It will be with smaller outfits, as most companies will ask for a class A. and for the endorsements, tanker is obvious; Hazmat would get you more open doors.

The twic... is not necessary and the safety will be provided by the company hiring you, no need to go get one yourself.

Most of truck jobs in the oilfield will require you to do some manual labor.
    Except maybe the sand boxes of various kind.
    The regular sand cans, you ll have to pull hoses,
    The tankers you will have to pull hoses ( from 1 if you do oil, to multiple if you do vacuum).

/ a typical vac truck day is ; drive some to location, hook your lines, wait in cab for 25 min to load, unhook, drive to disposal or whatever other location to unload, wait 10 to 25 min to unload , drive back to location - rinse and repeat for 14 hours./ basically the job is not hard. any fool can run a pto and hook up line, if you do it wrong the first waste water shower will teach you quick - the long hours and hard rotations is more what the deal is about , and the fact that you more than likely will start by working nights; unless you are lucky. //

7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Depends on location and state weight laws. Out in oh pa wv i see more bottles than transports. Ohio its not uncommon to see 5+ axles on a class b water truck. (Referred to as bottle or baby bottle) transport is a trailer.

If you don't have a cdl yet get your A way more interesting opportunities come your way. A monkey can do water. Learn to run a pneumatic and you'll be a cut above most in the patch

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  8. cmrdev

cmrdev Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    Class b is never “sought after” over anything. Class b is just class b. Class A is the “sought after” license. You can haul and drive anything. Maybe you are confused on cdl classes

9. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    Why would they want a Class B driver if the can get a Class A driver? He can do his job and yours. If you don't show up for work,he can jump in your truck. If he doesn't show up, you can't jump in his.

The best is a Class A where the driver is cross trained in all if the equipment that the company runs.

10. bfielder

bfielder Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2013
    south bend,in
    Just my 2 cents.... No a CDL B is not sought-after but you can work in the oil field if there's a need.... But CDL A will definitely get you more options out there... With the right endorsements... But CDL B you could go to a place called Stanford Oil I think in North Dakota... Pay I think was hourly $18 or $19 hr....
    But do your research... And good luck

11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    No it isn't sought after but there's a lot of class b water jobs out there. In northeast pa I see water jobs on Craigslist from 19-24hr w/ot. Same thing out in oh/wv/sw pa. I see more class b water bottles than transports

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.