Is Con-way TL a good company to take a dog on the road?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by markperez, Sep 7, 2014.

1. markperez

markperez Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2014
    I am asking this because I have a husky that is pretty bonded to me and it would be hard for her and my parents if I left her with them while on the road for weeks at a time. I have no problem taking her with me but I worry about a few things.

1. One there is no APU so during the summer I am worried about it getting to hot for her in the truck. I know there kind of isn't an idle policy but there are idle limits on certain trucks and idle laws are growing. I have thought about making a DIY ice cooler A/C kind of like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITtlxjvLQis. Do you think this would work in the middle of summer to keep it somewhat cool (say something like 85)?

2. Break downs. I've read about a lot people having break downs lately and being out of service in a motel for a few days. I worry about not finding a motel that will not allow pets or even a tow truck driver that wouldn't allow me to bring my dog. Is this just me worrying to much?

3. Maintenance/Terminals. When going in for maintenance or just any visit to a con-way terminal I thought I read somewhere here that pets are not allowed inside. I understand that policy if true but just wanted to confirm it.

4. How do you handle it if a customer does not allow pets on the property? Do you usually know this in advance or is it usually once you get to the customer?

Any other tips in taking a pet on the road would be very helpful.

Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Conway has a pet program, so you can take your pet. The rest is up to you. Some customers don't want pet poo on their property, so they don't want pets off the leash. Can't blame them much, drivers made their own problem on this, as so many other areas. Mostly it seems like drivers find a way to take pets, sometimes 2 or 3 dogs. Not me, of course.

bigkev1115 and markperez Thank this.
  4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    It is wonderful you are so bonded with your Husky, but as someone who has owned several Huskies over the years, is it really fair to have such an active dog in the tiny confines of a truck cab where they will not get to exercise as much as they need? As an OTR driver you will not get to spend much time running and playing with your dog, smaller and less active dogs usually travel better.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do, it is great to have company out here if you and your dog are up to it.

markperez Thanks this.
  5. markperez

markperez Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Good point and good question. You are right about worrying about breed. Mine is a 40# husky mix but even so if she was an active dog I would not even think about doing this. I have had her for 5 years and I have to ask you to trust me when I say she is not really active. I have worked at home for many years and she is happy to just lay in my office for many hours. She loves walks but really doesn't run so I am good in saying this particular dog would do well as a trucking dog.

6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Well being a mixed breed will help a lot, I have had 3 full breed Huskies, a Malamute, Samoyed, several Shepard mixes. Of all of those the Shepard mixes were some of the most tame and easy to handle, the pure breed Huskies have always been harder. My Husky/Shepard mix was my favorite to travel with, she was about 60 pounds but well behaved and didn't feel the need to run or jump all over the place. My other Huskies, I would never think of taking them on the road full time, they always were way to hyper. It sounds like you have it figured out, and it sure is nice to have a dog with you when you can. Enjoy.

markperez Thanks this.
  7. mr.travo

mr.travo Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2014
    SC
    These are the same questions I am asking as well. Good to know what you are up against before even stepping into a company. Did you ever find anything out markperez?

Thanks!

Travo

8. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Deposits $500 non refundable

Withold one cent and have higher minimum idle standards .

You may find yourself throwing $50 cash in the tank to keep your cent in the summer.

They actually encourage you to get a pet here.
    Claim you are a more reliable long term driver.

9. mr.travo

mr.travo Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2014
    SC
    Right. Keturah informed me that the trucks without APU's have no idle policy as long as you are in the truck. Seems pretty reasonable to me, but I am basing that off no experience, LOL!

Travo

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.