Is EGR Valve the cause?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by stinkyfinger, Jun 12, 2007.

1. stinkyfinger

stinkyfinger Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I drive a company truck, coolant has to be added every other day or so.There are no signs of leakage anywhere,below,above or anywhere. Was told my the mechcanic it may be the egr. Is this possibe? How long to replace it?
    thanks for any help!!:biggrin_25519:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hill-a-billy

Hill-a-billy Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2007
    South Carolina
    Are you sure it's not going out the stack?:biggrin_2552:

4. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

I can't imagine how the egr would be involved, more likely like HB said, could be going out your stack, or mixing into your oil-courtesy of a bad head gasket.

5. MICHAELJAYCLARK

MICHAELJAYCLARK Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2007
    I had a detroit diesel that the air was leaking into the water through a crack in the head. when i was driving it was blowing the water out the overflow hose, not when i was parked so couldnt see the water leaking.

6. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    If the engine uses cooled EGR (and if I'm not mistaken, thats what everyone except Caterpillar is using to meet EPA regs) it's entirely possible that the EGR system is involved by way of the exhaust gas cooler unit. The exhaust gas would be hot enough to instantly burn up the coolant that is leaking. The only way to be sure is to remove the EGR cooler and inspecting it.

7. Candy Licker

Candy Licker Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2008
    dequincy,la
    im like mr clark...i had a leek once....thought was head or gasket...wound up being a cracked sleeve...even ideling the truck at an overnight idel didnt tell me were i was loosing antifreeze...mechanic told me to idel it up around 1400 rpm and wait a lil while...if thier would be a leak it would then show...so i did...and like mr clark....when it raised its evil lil head...was blowing it all out the over flow...so try that and see what happens...i would imagine as others metioned the exhaust...sure it would almost imediately disapate... but as you know....burnt antifreeze has a smell...so mabe climb up and see if it comes from ya exhaust

8. TORQUE WRENCH

TORQUE WRENCH Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2008
    CHANDLER,AZ.
    If you have a Cummins ISX with EGR I would have the EGR cooler replaced.....the same thing happened in our fleet, had two trucks using alot of coolent,no leaks,no coolent in oil and none out the stack.I replaced EGR cooler, problem solved on both trucks.

9. Muleskinner

Muleskinner <strong>"Shining Beacon of Chickenlights"</strong>

I guess you've pulled an oil sample already haven't you?If not then I would and end that trail.

10. BSwithTF

BSwithTF Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Joplin, MO
    If the sodium and potassium are elevated in the oil sample, it's generally the EGR cooler. If the sodium and potassium are elevated and there is glycol present, it's generally the oil cooler elements and/or gaskets.

11. lv gn

lv gn Heavy Load Member

Jun 23, 2008
    las vegas nv.
    i had to add 1 and 1/2 gal everyday and then the last trip was 2 gal. every 300 miles. the last 50 miles the truck stalled 8 times and ran like crap! the dealer said its egr cooler. should be ready tommorow. its an 09 pro star with a 455 isx cummings.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.