Is instruction card required for AOBRD's or just ELD's?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Truckermania, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    My company uses Peoplenet AOBRD. I know with ELD's you are supposed to have an instruction card to give a DOT officer when inspected. I don't have one with my AOBRD and can't find anything saying whether that is required or not. I have yet to be inspected with this company and want to be prepared just in case. Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Instruction card for the driver and logs in case of a failure. That's what's supposed to be there.

4. Truckermania

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    I have the logs but no instruction card. Just was not clear if this was required for AORBD's or just ELD's. I'll need to call safety and see about getting that. Thanks!

5. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    ELD or AOBRD, it is a requirement to have the in cab instruction card on you.

6. Truckermania

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Thank you!

7. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    You also need to carry a spare paper log book in case your ELD fails.
    They can and will give you a ticket.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Aobr and eld requirements are slightly diffrent. All you need for an aobr is enough blank logs to recreate for the trip. Eld's need 7 logs.
    Only need one card for aobr, describing how to retrieve data. Eld's need 3.

Here is the actual regs for aobr from 395.15

(g) On-board information. Each commercial motor vehicle must have on-board the commercial motor vehicle an information packet containing the following items:

(1) An instruction sheet describing in detail how data may be stored and retrieved from an automatic on-board recording system; and

(2) A supply of blank driver's records of duty status graph-grids sufficient to record the driver's duty status and other related information for the duration of the current trip.

9. Truckermania

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Thank you Zvar for that. I actually do have a printed out instruction sheet. It is just not some fancy thing from Peoplenet, just something my company put together. I guess that will suffice until we transfer to official ELD's ( hopefully not until we have to). Also, I do have blank logs so I should be good. Again, thank you!

10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    My unit is Qualcomm, came with two laminated cards in the box.
    Better believe you need that card. It's supposed to be so the occifer can retrieve your logs.
    I keep one right in the cover of my registration, and permit book, first thing they see when they open it.

Truckermania Thanks this.
  11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    During this last Blitz we had a few drivers that had some DOT officers want the manual in addition to the cab cards for our elog system. I think the company was even issued a few citations for not having one in each truck. So a company wide email went out instructing everyone to make sure they grab a copy the next time the were at the terminal.

Truckermania Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.