Is it a bad time?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by firstcav, Nov 12, 2008.

1. firstcav

firstcav Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2006
    ""
    With the current economy is this a good or bad time to get into the industry?

Next month I lose my contract where I currently work and I'm still debating on if I should do this or not. My biggest concern before the economic crash was leaving my family... Now it's with the economy. I don't know if this is a good time to get into driving.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

If I were you I would still be concerned about leaving my family. You will never get this time back with them.

4. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    It's slow everywhere.

NOT good at all...........:biggrin_2552:

5. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Yup,...what the two VERY SMART young ladies already said........

Cybergal and leannamarie Thank this.
  6. gearjammer-2000

gearjammer-2000 <strong>Clutch User</strong>

Dec 18, 2007
    columbus Ohio
    trucking has been in ressession for at least the past 2 years and with all the jobs lost in other sectors of the economy as it always happens there will be a large group of people that will try to enter trucking with stars[$$] in their eyes.

most will find out quickly that trucking just ain't their cup of tea but in the meantime their entry will make an already bad situation worse, there are just too many trucks for the amount of freight being hauled, many are sitting and starving and this situation is only going to get worse for the foreseeable future.

Don't believe what the ATA [Anti Trucking Association is saying about a driver shortage, the only shortage is of drivers willing to work for nothing and their campaign to sucker new people into this industry in order to lower already low wages should be criminal, I would suggest you stay far away from this industry at leas for the foreseeable future.

firstcav Thanks this.
  7. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that thinks the driver shortage line is bunk! With the fact that 127,000 trucks have been taken off the road in the first three quarters of this year because of companies closing their doors, that pretty much puts that theory to rest. Freight is slowing down all over the place too.

8. firstcav

firstcav Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2006
    ""
    Gear... what you said makes a lot of sense. I appreciate your post.

9. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    Before I started with my trainer, back in 06 he told me. If you came to trucking for the money, and nothing else, I won't train you. If you came into the industry to make money, work hard, and try to make a decent living, take the good and the bad, then you will make it in this industry..

10. TruckerGrant

TruckerGrant Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Saint Louis, MO
    I hope the industry picks up, but regardless, I am leaving a 28 year aviation career to be a truck driver. Talk about working in an unstable industry, had enough of airplanes and convinced my wife to let me go to school and drive for a trucking company for a year to get some time under my belt. Anything is better that the airlines.

11. oldtrucker2u

oldtrucker2u Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    florida
    there is a BIG demand for truckers

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.