Is it all in my head? Diesel Kleen injector Cleaner working?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by ashtre, Jan 19, 2019.

1. ashtre

ashtre Light Load Member

May 9, 2016
    Finally tried this diesel kleen injector stuff from truck stop cuz i've met quite a few people who use it and it actually seems to be working. Truck ran smoother and quieter whole way home, and my soot level on this Swedish dog hasn't gotten this low in a couple of months or so. Is it my imagination? Any of you guys use this junk? Is it junk? Am i tripping? Is Lucy in the sky with diamonds? Are there any long term studies done on it's affect on motors? Is it affect or effect? I'll shut up now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

It’s probably not snake oil. There are some YouTubers who have put various injector cleaners to the test, and they have gotten varying results. Apparently most of them work, but cannot fully clean the injectors. Some dirt still remains.

I use the Diesel Kleen injector cleaner every 10,000 miles. The bottle doesn’t specify how often to use it. I get them at Walmart. For reference I use the injector cleaner bottle for a car that says every 3,000 miles. I use my truck for long haul, so 10k is fine with me.

By the way, I don’t like mixing it with antigel. In the winter, I just wait until I am in an area where I won’t be using antigel.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Reason for edit: More info
  4. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    We have a guy that swears by the stuff. But only adds a bottle at each service. He has a 2017 freightliner with zero emissions issues. Per him

5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

New trucks (1-3 years) don’t really have emissions issues. I never had those issues when using big fleet trucks. They get rid of their trucks at 325k-425k miles in the big fleet I was leased to.

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Sure it works. I don’t use it regularly but when I have usually see enough increase in mpg to cover the cost. I’ve never used Diesel Kleen, but will try it.Always Howe’s or Power Service if any in the past.Cleans and Lubricates injectors. Same with cars. Better to use high detergent gasoline such as BP or Shell instead of Speedway or Other Independants. Fuel is the same, additives are different. I recently replaced throttle body and most sensors on a 10 yr old Pontiac. Full of Black Carbon.Made Me a believer.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It is always good to clean the injectors. I am working on a downhome treating of my cylinders on my personal vehicle that sooted up to too much idling. A few runs on the interstate clears it out nicely with fuel treatment.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    A little mineral spirits maybe, or white lightning? What’s your secret?

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Nothing more than Techrons complete fuel system cleaner with a STP cleaner as a alternate should supply fail on the store.

It's a basic 350 chevy engine. Nothing fancy. Just replaced the two Oxygen sensors last year this time. That really cleared the computer up being able to properly lean out the mix as it ran better according to what is coming out the exhaust. I don't particularly like it, considering a basic Holley Carberator set up as a alternative to this fancy computer crap. In Arkansas it can be done by stripping out the computer and exhaust etc. We are not a emissions state.

10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Diesel Kleen is actually Power Service (gray bottle).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.