Is it cheating to write down moves to parallel for my skills test?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dinky, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Dinky

Dinky Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2021
    I am in Driving school. I am at the driving skills portion of my test. Wouldn't it be smart of me to write down the moves to do the parallel, so that I could do it correctly every time? Or is that against the DPS testing authority?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kevink123

Kevink123 Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2021
    I'm new to this as well but I mean as long as you don't get caught...
    I'd recommend memorizing it and actually getting good at doing it though. what good is having it written down going to be when you are attempting to park between two brand new trailers?

4. Farmtractor9900

Farmtractor9900 Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2020
    Sorry but No cheat sheets are allowed when you're doing the driving test.

buddyd157, aussiejosh and flood Thank this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Why not just figure out how to manuever the truck? Dont overthink it , just try to be one with the truck.

6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I learned the old fashioned way. I rode with my dad until I was old enough to get my Class A, pre-CDL days. I moved from state to state transferring my license until I got to Illinois, and I had to take the road test again. I took my tractor and borrowed a trailer from work and failed the practical. I called a friend of mine who recommended a school that I could use their tractor trailer. The instructor showed me all the landmarks in their yard, and that's how I passed the practical.

7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    A step by step is not going to teach you how to manuever a truck, each situation will be different. You need to learn how to make the truck do what you want, how it will react when you do something, and how to recognize when to make a particular move.

If someone gives you a list of which pieces to move in a chess game, does that mean you will always win with that list of moves??? No. You need to learn to read the board, not just how to move the pieces.

8. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Buy a toy truck, play with it on the table in an obstacle course. Watch how the trailer maneuvers, watch how other students maneuver (what the trailer does when you turn those wheels), and practice. That paper won't tell you anything you haven't memorized by testing day.

9. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Your school should have taught you that already. As they're not teaching you how to drive but pass the test. Away from the box, towards the box, towards the box, away from the box. How hard is that to remember? You'll learn what it's really like to drive when you do your 240 with a trainer.

10. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Some driving schools will make you memorize the moves and what to look for while performing the moves. For example, turn the steering wheel 180 degrees clockwise when you see crack in the ground or turn your wheel 360 degrees counterclockwise when orange cone appears in your mirror...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Bean Jr. and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    I remember something about looking for a pizza slice. Makes me hungry

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.