Is it common or rare that you are late for a load?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by crazybread, Feb 24, 2017.

1. crazybread

crazybread Medium Load Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Been thinking about this how common is it that you are late for a load that you have because of traffic, weather or something that came in the way?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Never . Showed up on day when the customer did not show up because of weather.

4. crazybread

Jul 30, 2015
    Do you have enough time to work with or you have to watch yourself or you would be late?

5. Thull

Thull Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Usually you are given enough time to make the Delivery

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. CSDixon

CSDixon Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Denver CO
    Good question. Will be watching thread. No CDL yet; but wonder if keeping contact with dispatcher about "safety matters" (e.g. 100 mph wind gusts) which might result in a reschedule the same a being late?

7. BostonTanker

BostonTanker Road Train Member

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Depends . at Werner you're gonna find out real quick how many loads they give you that are already late. Then you will freak out.
    Then you will figure out they don't give a #### unless it is JIT. GET USED TO JIT, only those of us who can run 600+ miles a day get those.
    Back on track....
    You will learn to just get it there as on time as possible. #### happens. It's how you deal with it that makes you stand out or enjoy the truck stop daily

mindes Thanks this.
  8. crazybread

Jul 30, 2015
    what
    What do you mean by JIT?

9. BostonTanker

BostonTanker Road Train Member

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    JUST IN TIME. You said you're going to Werner. If you're going 48, get used to it. Unless you wind up being a truck stop diva. Then get used to a real quiet Qualcomm while one of the runners get the only load out of a very SLOW freight lane. :)
    One time I was In FL or GA. 6 Werner drivers were at the same place I went to pick up a load. All loads were pushed back 2 days. All were just laid back hanging around. They only drive during the day. Or they don't drive in the snow, or they only like 300 miles a day.
    Then there I am sitting in the same zone. I run out my clock. I drive nights. I drive in blinding snow and ice. I throw chains. Mountains? Great lets go.
    Guess who got the ONLY load out of that zone that day?
    If you guess me, congrats. You're already on your way to a good career at Werner.
    I hate to say it but make sure you're not one of those I mentioned.
    Oh, and your fm ( fleet manager ) will notice if you're a runner. And you will get perks that the divas could never imagine

10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Running legal you should be late from time to time, no big deal, just let dispatch know and they can reschedule it.

MrEd and austinmike Thank this.
  11. crazybread

Jul 30, 2015
    Sounds good. I don't understand why drivers would do that. Is it that common for drivers to do that at truck stops?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.