Is it hard to drive a Truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MondoburgerHD, Feb 21, 2017.

1. MondoburgerHD

MondoburgerHD Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2017
    After watching some trucking videos, I feel I can be a trucker and I have full confidence in myself. However I do have my doubts and just would like info from experienced truckers to ease my own doubting. Difficulty level of driving, the hardest maneuvers I'd have to make etc

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChadFelix

ChadFelix Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2017
    California
    The best thing I can tell you is that it's just like driving a car once you get used to it. As a beginner just pay extra attention to your turns, when you are backing up, and places you go into.Always be aware of your surroundings, NEVER get nervous or scared take your time. Think before you do anything, plan ahead, look at how other truckers do their turns, and stuff like that. Ask a lot of questions the more knowledge you know the more confident you will feel. Bottom line, be careful and take your time to do things right. Never give in to the pressure of the other cars remember we are the kings of the road, they wait on us!

Puppage and MondoburgerHD Thank this.
  4. MondoburgerHD

Feb 20, 2017

Yes sir! I know for a fact I can do it. Other 4 wheelers are a complete discouragement. Thanks. I've been watching truck drivers on YouTube everyday.

5. ChadFelix

ChadFelix Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2017
    California

Np bud, once you get enough comfidence you know how to play with the 4 wheelers, sometimes theyre so predictable and sometimes watch out! Also what helps me a lot is checking out the new areas where Im going through google maps, I plan the way in and out ahead of time so I dont get any surprises. Well good luck bud and 10/4...gotta hit the sleeper now lol

MondoburgerHD Thanks this.
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Thats good you have confidence in yourself but watching videos is nothing like the real thing.You're going to find out its not as easy as it looks.But once you learn how to drive trk and after a few months to a year it'll become second nature.

Thull, Crude Truckin', tinytim and 3 others Thank this.
  7. MondoburgerHD

Feb 20, 2017
    I know that. I'm not expecting it to be super easy at first. Practise makes perfect. Well not exactly perfect but I will be a great driver. I'm mainly on here asking for tips.

pattyj Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Some make it look easy, some make it look hard ... because it is hard for many. Trucking has a number of acquired skills that some just can't nail down easily or quickly. Having poor backing skills, and trying to hit a tight spot in a difficult spot, between two shiny, high-dollar hoods, in the dark, others waiting on you ... brings many to absolute tears.

Trying to turn right with a 53 foot trailer down a narrow street, from a narrow street, cars and light poles everywhere, some stopped, some moving? Better not screw up.

Pass your turn and in up in a residential area with no obvious ways back out?

Lot's of things can go wrong. Some have skills and cool head to deal with it, some don't.

Tips? Observe, observe, observe. Ask for help in the beginning but don't expect help to always be available or understanding. Learn from your mistakes and learn from the mistakes of others (Observe and comprehend what you're seeing and why you're seeing it). Take any/all opportunities for "quality backing practice". Don't always seek out pull-through opportunities, but don't make it terribly hard on yourself either. Once you get good (better) at backing and navigating the truck in tight areas, then you can begin to be more selective about where you park and making your day easier. Learn extreme patience and how to remain calm under all sorts of stressful conditions. Keep your expectations reasonable.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  9. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Hope, you know that you just crushed my dreams of becoming an astronaut! I have watched over a 100 you tube videos.

10. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Pumpkin Oval Head and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @thelushlarry Just watch "Big Bang Theory" .... Howard will teach you how, no YouTube needed, LoL~!

Mr Ed and pattyj Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.