Is it illegal to carry a gun in a commercial vehicle?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bama Roadrunner, Feb 16, 2017.

1. americantrucker89

americantrucker89 Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Marion, IA
    It is not illegal. However, in states that your carry permit doesn’t share reciprocity with…interstate transportation laws will be in effect. In that case you will need to store the firearm and ammunition separately and in locked boxes away from each other and out of reach.

Something else to keep in mind, you may be required to deliver to places like military installations, where it’s illegal to have firearms on the property. In that case what some drivers do is have a waterproof safe like a Lifevault. What you should do is pull over along the way and bury it near a mile marker post or something nearby and make note of the location. Dig it back up after leaving the customer.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sean_F

Sean_F Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2021
    Be careful about some of those too. If, for example, you are in Utah...they don't allow a loaded rifle to be carried by anyone in a vehicle even with a permit. I got around it being a retired police officer and carried in all 50 with my LEOSA (H.R.218) permit. Then SOME states won't allow an AR15 pistol to be carried, or they aren't legal where another handgun IS legal under their permitting system. It really is a mismash, so you have to be super careful.

Then again...concealed means concealed and "No, you may NOT search me or my truck without a warrant or without articulating your probable cause to do so". Probable cause is a much higher standard than reasonable suspicion. A routine traffic stop of inspection is NOT probable cause to search, and having a CDL does NOT give up your rights under search and seizure.

TheLoadOut, Jeffery Epstein and Hulld Thank this.
  4. Jeffery Epstein

Jeffery Epstein Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2020
    why did you retire? we need more like you lol.

ive had that argument multiple times, digging through my duffel bag that is zipped up goes beyond the scope of an inspection. only thing that really warrants them to get into the cab is to inspect for adequate bedding (loosely defined), free of exhaust fumes...audible low air alarm....thats about all i can think of off the top of my head.

oh, and personal affects in the truck is not considered "cargo"

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.