Is it possible to hit gym still while trucking?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by BruBakers, Mar 28, 2007.

1. BruBakers

BruBakers Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Newbie here.
    Is it possible to hit gym still while out on the road? GYM= meaning like a true weight room like Golds Gym, 24 Hour fitness, LA Fitness, etc?
    I would love to hit the gym every now and then, plus they have showers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BruBakers

BruBakers Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Be nice if the terminals had a gym.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    Going to be very difficult to do this. I have heard that some larger companies have small gyms at their terminals, not sure how often you would be able to get into them though.

I carried a set of dumbells, pvc push up handles, and those forearm/hand exercisers that fit in your hand and squeeze (can't remeber what they are called)

5. lil daddy

lil daddy Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2007
    There are gyms all over the country and most are accesible in a big truck, I personally carry weights in the truck and workout every morning first thing regardless to where I am or what I'm doing. The first hour of everyday is mine. If you're so busy that you can't give yourself 1hr out of 24hrs to do something good for yourself than somethings wrong.

I normally make it to a gym about 3 to 4 days a week. Theres no substitute for the feeling that I get from moving heavy steel and a good cardio session. Oh,yeah the sauna and the swimming pools are nice too. Most gyms wiil charge you 10 to 15 bucks a day depending on how nice they are. It's a small price to pay for an excellent workout. Good luck.

Splenda Thanks this.
  6. aristotle35769

aristotle35769 Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Scottsboro, Alabama
    It really isn't practical to think you'll be able to go to a gym in a trucking job. Trucking is not like a regular job... it is a lifestyle. Bring some dumbells on the road with you and devise some creative workout programs for the road. It probably won't take long for you to realize that going to the gym on a regular basis as a trucker is just not going to happen.

7. aristotle35769

Feb 25, 2008
    Scottsboro, Alabama
    My old company actually did have a gym at the main terminal. However, I can count, on one hand, the number of times that I actually had an opportunity to use it over the course of two years. The nature of the trucking lifestyle requires a creative fitness program devised by the driver... something that can be done in or around the truck.

8. AllMarine

AllMarine Bobtail Member

May 21, 2008
    Greenville, MI
    Yeah I was wondering that same thing. Im guessing it would be a huge pain in the neck to find gyms and get to them with a truck. I will probably pick up a set of those adjustable dumbells and a good set of running shoes. If you are creative enough you can find lots of things that work. That is.. for the people who are willing to drag their butts out of the truck.

9. aristotle35769

Feb 25, 2008
    Scottsboro, Alabama
    You must work a local job or a dedicated route that has a set routine. I can't imagine getting to a gym 3 or 4 days a week as an OTR driver. The hassle alone would be unthinkable. It would also cut into sleep time... not the best way to stay healthy. As an OTR driver, a normal day consists of 12-14 hours of work. After shutting down for the day, you'd have to locate a local gym, (probably) drop your trailer at a truckstop, drive to the gym, work out, come back to the truck stop, and hook back up. Oh, you'll probably want a shower after going to the gym too... and maybe a meal as well. If you are only taking a 10-hour break, how much time will this leave you for sleep? Doing this 3 or 4 days a week would seem to promote unhealthiness. Far more practical for an OTR driver to create a program that he/she can do in or around the truck.

10. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    "Is it possible to hit gym still while out on the road?"

are you kidding? why do you think so many drivers are sloppy fat? even if you had a gym attached to the back of your truck, when would you use it? you're going to be working 12-16 hours a day!

11. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Why are so many drivers sloppy fat? Well, I could go into all kinds of reasons, but the primary one is laziness. Where there is a will, there is a way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.