Is it possible to track where radio transmission is coming from

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by snowman123, Oct 23, 2010.

1. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    its a shame the airwaves are crowded with these type of people..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    We once had a "BIG REDDIO" type who got onto 10 Meters and announced that "them hams ain't smart enough to find ME! I'm gonna lock down this h'yar channel so cain't nobody talk!!!":biggrin_2559: It took about 30 minutes using beams and triangulation. Then we took to the cars and drove out to where the signal seemed to be. Using a couple of the mag mount "shortie" antennas stuck on the door and "attenuation" ( a combination of lowering receiver RF gain and circling the car, disconnecting the antenna, etc) I drove right up next to his house at a stoplight. With the antenna OFF and receiver gain almost off, his signal was so loud it had a hum. I could even hear the "leenyar" fan! :biggrin_2559: The guy must've seen the car with the antennas and hollered "OH SH##!" CLICK!!! The signal went away never to be heard again. :biggrin_25523: We didn't bother to send it in since all we had to do is drop a dime if the signal came back. What a 'maroon'! We caught several people this way.

GF

4. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    I feel sorry for them! I can get away from thier nonsense sooner or later. They are on the hand are stuck. Everywhere they go there is that stupid radio Rambo. Get out bed there he is. Sit down to eat there he his. Look in the mirror there he is. All the time they have to listen to "shut up stupid". No matter what they do they cant get away from the nonsense within the gray matter behind their eyes.
    Be thankful your not one of them.

Big Don Thanks this.
  5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    While I don't exactly argee with what you said here, it certainly is a different way of looking at it. And you DO have a point.

6. DJ trucker

DJ trucker Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    you need a combo spectrum analyzer / RF peak locator
    give you direction and distance readings
    about $ 2800

7. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Yes.......if you want to get fancy. However, a couple of stations with beams can get pretty close. Once you've pinpointed a general location, the mobiles can take over. Since it is usually just ONE station causing mischief at a time, a spec analyzer isn't usually needed.

GF

8. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    I have done it on 11/10 meters with a simple loop on VHF we use 3 phased antennas and that also works well many hunts are with just these and the radio in the car.

9. Wallace

Wallace Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2009
    There has been radio direction finders avail for years. We have one on our fishing boat. When someone is catching fish they cant avoid bragging about it, with the direction finder you can see what direction they are from you. But not an exact location like the ham clubs can provide.

Wallace

10. bigfishxxl

bigfishxxl Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Radio Direction Finders were very common on boats before Loran C and GPS came out. They would give you an accurate fix on a transmission. Look for one on Ebay under "Marine electronics". Probably find one very cheap

11. THE INFAMOUS WILD CARD!

THE INFAMOUS WILD CARD! Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2015
    The chicken band is not your company's frequency.
    fYI FCC Rules indicate CB's are not to be used for commercial purposes.

That being said,

It is incredibly easy to track another CB radio.
    it's even a sport.
    the radio being tracked is called the rabbit aka "rabbit hunting".
    the radios tracking the rabbit or called the foxes.

Back in the day it was a usual thing to track down troublemaker radios clip their coax, pin it., or blow out their finals. pull up next to their vehicle and touch antennas with the linear and blow
    out there finals.

Equipment doesn't cost much. Maybe ¢.5
    unless of course you have the slightly more expensive gear like mine. But its not nessasary by any means.

It should be made aware that its also possible to track/discover a tracking radio.

One final note.
    Its a felony to confront and or damage people or equipment.
    And a quick way to lose licence.

If the radio is breaking FCC rules; report them.
    the fines and jail time is extensive.
    But you have to report them. FCC was never big on active enforcement. It required complaints.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.