Is it really as good as they like to advertise?

Discussion in 'Crete' started by Wolfen666, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Wolfen666

Wolfen666 Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2012
    I saw a Crete truck with 27 years with the company and 4.5 million career miles. It is not the first driver I have seen that has high miles and years with them. That to me says this is a company that has something going good for it with drivers. That said I have a few questions.

#1 If you work there, is it really as good as it advertises? I mean they have the trailers covered with this statements like an arrow pointing at the tractor saying their most valuable asset is sitting there, and yadda yadda. I am just curious if they really do care about their drivers, or if it is just an advertising ploy.

#2 Do they allow pets? This is a must for me sadly. I cannot travel without a dog.

#3 Would you suggest it?

I currently haul dedicated GM but am tired of being home and looking to go back to OTR. I am a very hard worker, and although I am probably asking too much, it would be nice to find a company that truely appreciates their employees, or at the very least does what they say they will do as far as home time, pay and keeping you all over the country as opposed to trapt in the New England area. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check their website. Shaffer is their reefer division & when I drove reefer for another company I talked to Shaffer drivers often & they liked the company.

4. stungjoe

stungjoe Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Yet to be determined.
    #2) No pets for new drivers. Only those grandfathered in are allowed to have pets.

5. ralph

ralph Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2009
    At The Key Board
    Unfortunately your "wish list" is virtually impossible to fill and you won't fill it looking @ a mega-carrier like Crete.

Look @ small fleets.

6. Wolfen666

Wolfen666 Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2012
    So does that make you an employee that you know, or are you just saying what others have said? :/

7. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    truth in advertising is a myth. remember that in life, not only in trucking

look thru this forum, see what people say

much may be exaggerated, but i doubt all of it is false

and to honest, any company, any boss, any dispatcher will only push you as far as you allow them

let them know you dont play, and they rarely push (they may fire you) but they know better than to push you

thats one of the problems you see on these forums amongst truck drivers

for years they let their dispatchers push them around, so now they are relieved that an elog can help bolster their testosterone levels

with or without HOS or any other issue, you have to look and assess each situation for yourself and what you can handle, control and tolerate

8. stungjoe

stungjoe Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Yet to be determined.
    haha I drive for Crete

9. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    First off, I do not, nor have I ever worked for Crete. So I am speaking in "general terms" here:

Companies do change over the years, as do we all. However, when you see a driver with 27 years with the same company, it doesn't mean much other than it is a good "fit" for that driver. Of course the more longer term drivers you see, the more you may be able to think it is a good company.

But there is going to be a difference with ANY company, between a 27 year veteran, and a new hire. Even a new hire with 27 years experience will be treated differently than the veteran company driver will be. What you need to be looking at, is how they are now treating their new hires. You also need to realize that you will have to "pay your dues" to the company. That doesn't mean you have to bend over and drop your drawers for them, but you need to realize that you will be treated significantly different than an "old hand."

48Packard Thanks this.
  10. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Excellent, BigDon.

Drivers with this much seniority are at the top of the pay scale AND have four weeks paid vacation....not easy to give that up.

I mean....even CRE has drivers that have been with them over 20 years. So BDs post is straight-up and spot-on.

11. OFTOTR

OFTOTR Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Toccoa GA
    Crete continues to go downhill. Some people don't expect much from an employer, or don't realize it's possible to be treated better at a job. You can make a living at crete, or at least survive, but it is not a GOOD job.
    (Unless you have just started driving and never made much over minimum wage)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.