Is it safe to buy salvage reefer trailer?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by amanpkau, Jul 18, 2019.

1. amanpkau

amanpkau Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2019
    Going to buy salvage reefer trailer which is in good condition. The truck's drive tires on passenger side caught fire due to that flame got on the trailer as well which was repaired by the owner from Great Dane. Insurance gave salvage title due to high repair costs. Will it safe to buy this 2016 reefer trailer and will there an issue with insurance in future. I will be driving it in California. Please leave comments and suggestions should we buy it or not. Thank You

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    If it has been repaired right, and your state will register one with a salvage title, I would not be afraid of it. The value is less of course and insurance may not even pay out on a vehicle that already has a salvage title, that would be a question for them, and I would get the answer in writing.

4. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    My questions start with "How was the repairs done"? And what I mean by that is... Was all of the steel that was damaged due to heat replaced? Or did they just slap on some sheet metal and make it look pretty? And if it was replaced, can they prove it?

And if the answer to either of those is "no", I would walk.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  5. amanpkau

amanpkau Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2019
    Thank you for responding.. yes everything was replaced and they do have repair receipts. My concern is that in longer-term insurance like going to drive for 5 years at least will insurance cover those years

6. amanpkau

amanpkau Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2019
    Thank you for responding .... My main concern is insurance. I am going to drive at least 5 years and I want to make sure will insurance continue to do coverage.

7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Like I said, I would want that in writing from your insurance co.
    The only experience I have had with insurance and any salvage was, I hauled a wrecked salvage airplane in pieces, reciever tried to claim I damaged it. My insurance told them to go fly a kite, no way would they even open a claim on a salvage plane. That is apples to oranges I know.

Intothesunset and motocross25 Thank this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    My main worry would be a hotspot where the new insulation was replaced. That may cause issues down the road it you pull something with individual temp sensors in each case.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Intothesunset and magoo68 Thank this.
  9. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Insurance club will tell the other insurance club company's that it's not insuranceable

10. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Did you talk to your insurance company about it. They would answer your questions for you before you buy it.

11. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    The insurance company has never asked me if the titles are clean or branded.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.