Is it safe to say this guy is fire? My wife was like, "Was he trying to go hunting?"

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by bryan21384, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    You don't move over and let people in? I do when I can.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Only if it’s safe to do so. I’m NOT OBLIGATED to change lanes to accommodate those vehicles. They’re the ones trying to merge onto the freeway,THEY’RE RESPONSIBLE for making sure they can merge onto the freeway and get up to freeway speed safely in accordance with STATE FREEWAY/HIGHWAY TRAFFIC LAWS. Freeway traffic has legal right of way- this rule is adopted by every state in the country.

4. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Remember that next time YOU want someone to let you merge. Other truckers give you that courtesy, but you don't want to give it to cars. And it was totally safe for her to move over.

blairandgretchen and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Too many 4-wheelers don’t know how to merge. They don’t get up to speed. They don’t look at the big picture.

tech10171968 and mjd4277 Thank this.
  6. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I know. And for those that aren't smart enough to merge at speed, tough luck. But there were 6 cars trying to get on the interstate. I see no problem in trying to be polite. As bad as I hate them, some are decent and let me in when I need to pass.

blairandgretchen, Lepton1 and IluvCATS Thank this.
  7. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Rest assured, I keep it in mind EVERY TIME I get behind the wheel,whether it’s the truck I drive or my personal vehicles. At the same time I also remember the rules of the road AS THEY ARE WRITTEN.;) Because if there’s an accident, state law doesn’t give a **** about politeness!!
    Food for thought.

drvrtech77 Thanks this.
  8. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    So you wouldn't care if no one let you merge because they are following the rules of the road? Am I understanding you?

9. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I would care, but I’m not about to risk causing an accident just to merge on a highway. It’s called having some patience(which I have plenty of) and USING GOOD JUDGMENT-which is expected of ANY driver license holder!

10. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    So even though this woman had a clear lane to move into, instead she made 6 cars virtually come to a stop because the rules are written this way (please post a link where it says not to move over and let people merge). You think this is using good judgement? We have different views of safety and courtesy for sure. Are you also stating you don't move over for other trucks because the rules say to maintain your lane?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I'm traveling in the right hand lane. I see a line of cars about to merge. I know from my mirror checks that I have a big truck closing quickly or shortly behind me in the lane to my left. I double check clearance on the lane to my left and ensure that I cannot safely move over at that time. My attention will then focus on the merging traffic.

Now say that the big truck moves over, or backs off, or otherwise makes space. If I am already at the merge point I will NOT attempt to move to the left as traffic is merging on as that puts ME into a weak position - both leagally and more importantly in terms of safety. If I start focusing on the big truck and seeing if I have space I may lose sight of a car. Or if I start to move over thinking the big truck is yielding to me and he doesn't , forcong me to return to my lane, now I am in the wrong.

I will take as many variables out od the equation as I can. I always feel bad when it turns out I could have moved over, but making a quick, rushed lane change is not in my interest.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.