Is it still okay for kids to arm pump?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by AlligatorHugs, Sep 13, 2019.

1. AlligatorHugs

AlligatorHugs Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2019
    My daughter is 4 and I recently taught her how to do the arm pump at trucks and she loves it. She’ll spend hours sitting by the road waiting for trucks to come by just she can do it. We live in a semi rural area but the road can be busy at times. Most of the truckers are happy to pull their air horn for her. And it really makes her day. She smiles ear to ear!

I’m asking here because I recently found a post on Facebook about people complaining about kids doing the arm pump! There were some truckers who said they hated it when kids did it. I don’t want her to be upsetting anyone or bothering the drivers so I just wanted to post and make sure it’s okay for her to continue!

Thanks.

stayinback Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Yes, it’s very much ok. There’s nothing better than seeing a kid smile after you toot the horn for them.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    FB is destructive. I left that behind when I started accumulating enemies faster than I can account for them, we did not grow up with internet anything so its all good to be with out it.

Sure you bet, the kids are allowed to ask for airhorn. Pump that fist all day if need be.

I tell you this much, it aint the bleat of the company issued airhorn the kids crave. Its not the blat of the city horn either. Nope. Its the TRAIN HORN CUSTOM they WEAAWY WANT.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    She can pump her arm all she wants, it's her arm. :)

Seriously I will blow the horn depending on traffic, time of day, etc. Basically if I see it's safe and see someone on the side of the road like that asking, I'll do it.
    On an expressway in traffic, no way though.

6. AlligatorHugs

AlligatorHugs Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Thanks all! She really loves to do it.

stayinback Thanks this.
  7. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
  8. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Amen to your post, I blowing horn only when I am sure the is no cars around me in close proximity. Right now when people looking on smartphones more then on a road, the is a big chance that you will scare one of those idiots , and will make them go into nearest ditch

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think only of about 3 situations where I stood on the horn which thankfully was not the bleating company variety that one year. Twice on the cross bronx and the other inside the old 895 tunnel decades ago in Baltimore. Some idiot got into my pathway across the double white and interfered with my being able to stop.

The problem was the whole #### tube cranked out their necks to see if they are the one being honked. One tends forgetting that it carries all the way down.

sirjeff Thanks this.
  10. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    I love when I see kids doing a arm pump it make my day better seeing them all happy about it
    And there nothing like seeing a family all laughing with big smiles

11. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Absolutely. And I love doing it for the kids, since I was that kid who always did the arm pump when I was a young’n. I always do it to the tune of Shave And A Haircut, and blow the horn for a few seconds on the last note :)

Make sure she asks permission first, so she doesn’t make the truck startle you behind the wheel!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.